P08028: Magnet Centering Device/public/
Table of Contents
Product DescriptionCurrently the magnets made produce magnetic fields that are non-concentric with their diameters and the proposed device will correct this discrepancy. Firstly, the magnet will be placed on a bushing with a non-concentric diameter, therefore, the device will monitor and physically move the bushing giving the bushing a concentric diameter relative to the center. The Centering Magnet Device will monitor the magnet's magnetic field and physically move the magnet producing a concentric field. Producing a magnetic field concentric with the magnet's diameter plays a crucial role in the survival of the Left Ventricle Assistant Device (LVAD).
Key Business Goals
- Provide a device which offers a solution to the problem of non-concentric bushings and magnetic fields
- Produce a magnetic field that is concentric because concentricity of the magnetic field is crucial in having a working bearing-free heart pump
- Increase efficiency. Currently, the centering the magnetic field is time consuming, this device will be more automated and thus decrease the turn out time.
- Increase automation of the device which, in turn, will decrease the likelihood of human error.
- As human error decreases, the precision of centering magnets increases.
- The device will be the first step in the mass production process of the LVAD heart pump.
- Time saved in the centering process will lower the cost of the heart pump thus increasing viability with stakeholders.
Primary MarketThe LVAD heart pump will serve the portion of the community with incurable congestive heart disease. Current heart pumps on the market last for a few short years due to mechanical failure or biological complications. The LVAD heart pump will have a vastly superior life of twenty years. This increase in the service life will greatly prolong survival for people with congestive heart disease.
Secondary MarketMagnets are used in a plethora of devices, therefore, having a magnet with concentric magnetic field will greatly increase the longevity and efficiency of those devices. The Centering Magnet Device will have a precision of 0.01 millimeters in measuring therefore any company or device which uses a rotating shaft could use the Centering Magnet Device in measuring the concentricity of a product.
Assumptions and Constraints
- Implementing a working LabVIEW program
- Integration of systems (Sensors & Positioning)
- Motor Control System
- Linear Slides & Stages:
- Backlash - interaction between mechanical parts of a drive system that do not produce output motion
- Hysteresis - forces acting on a system reverse direction & is result of elastic forces in various components
- Uni-Directional Repeatability - ability to achieve a commanded position over many attempts when approached from same direction
- Bi-Directional Repeatability - ability to achieve a commanded position over many attempts when approached from either direction
- Stakeholders in the design of our product include the following:
- People with congestive heart disease
- The families to the people with congestive heart failure
- United States Medicare
- Insurance companies
- Company involved in the development of the LVAD heart pump
- Companies that are involved with the manufacturing of parts for the LVAD heart pump
- Secondary companies which have devices or products that need to have a precise concentric diameter