P08427: LED Lighting Technologies for a Sustainable Entrepreneurial Venture/public/
Table of Contents
Product DescriptionCurrently two billion people live without clean, healthy, reliable lighting or power. Many of these people use gas and oil lamps, which produce a great deal of soot and carbon dioxide in addition to consuming vast amounts of fuel to produce relatively little usable lighting. This project seeks to provide a clean, reliable, inexpensive, and non-power-dependent source of light for use in developing nations. While there may be many possible solutions which arise from this project, at the moment it is proposed that LED lighting technologies be used as they have a high efficiency and a nearly unmatched lifetime.
Key Business Goals
- To provide a reliable and low cost lighting system for people in developing nations who live without a clean/healthy light source or power
- To create a product which will operate in a clean manner, while still having high durability, life span, and versatility
- To create a sustainable solution to the lighting deficit in Developing Nations
- People in developing nations currently living without a clean/healthy light source or power
- Customers looking for sustainable solutions for recreational lighting (camping, backpacking, etc.)
- Charitable organizations looking to sponsor lighting programs in developing nations
- May have aspects applicable to applications for domestic, commercial, and industrial lighting in industrialized nations
Assumptions and Constraints
- Lighting system must be self-sustaining, in that it must draw its power from locally available sources such as the sun.
- Product must be as durable and maintenance-free as possible
- Components should be designed for long life
- Product must be as low cost as possible while still maintaining a hight degree of quality.
- Product must be portable (Generally will be moved in and out of living space for charging and use)
- End Users - People in developing nations who will have a source of light thanks to the efforts of this project
- LED Manufacturer/Supplier - the source of the base technology to be used
- Environment - Replacement of kerosene lamps will reduce the quantity of pollution to the environment due to burning fossil fuels for light.
- Humanitarian Organizations - Sponsoring organizations who will give the product to families in developing nations.
- RIT - Will be Supporter of this venture and receive name recognition for the product when/if it becomes an actively used product
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Potential sponsors (via a P3 grant)