P08452: Fault Detectioin in Rotating Equipment for Energy Industry/public/
FD Mission Statement
Table of Contents
Product DescriptionDesign and build a health monitoring system for some piece of turbomachinery (most likely a compressor). The system would collect data of key parameters under normal and faulty operation, provide an easy to use interface that allows for data storage, and documentation on the generation of faulty data. Basic comparisons between the different operating modes (normal vs. faulty) should be possible through the clearly compiled operational data.
Key Business Goals
- Identify problems in operations of machines so a solution or a replacement can be issued before failure occurs. This would save on shutdown time, money lost due to shutdown time, and additional expenses that might occur due to failure.
- Dresser-Rand hopes to open a new market to its business by testing the feasibility and effectiveness of the system.
- The project could monitor efficiencies of turbomachinery as a guide to prevent shudown time due to failure.
- Primary Consumer is Dresser-Rand Co.
- Product is to be used in support of the operation of turbomachinery.
- Future Plans could include mass implementation of the product on the turbomachinery industry (oil, power generation, etc.)
- Oil Pumping Companies
- Regardless of the brand of turbomachinery equipment used.
- May want to monitor own machines to prevent any undesired shutdowns and failures or to have an idea of which parts to replace during regularly scheduled future shutdown times.
- Also would give an idea that maximum oil production is being achieved.
Assumptions and Constraints
- Initially the product is only for Dresser-Rand Co. but should be designed to be applied to all brands of products.
- Use is to be in the field while the machine is operating and will be applied to both new and old technology.
- Systems should be generic and have the ability (with some changes) to be applied to all compressor product lines (Centrifugal and Reciprocating).
- End Users
- Major Oil Companies
- Power Plants
- Potential use in a Master's Thesis Project.
- Could possibly lead to a fault detection lab.
- Society (Environment)
- Increases in efficiency and oil production.
- Original Equipment Manufacturers (Dresser-Rand Co., etc.)
- Equipment Operators while in the field or testing
- Equipment Inspectors
- Field Service Representatives
Back to Old Project Plan