P09052: Molecular Imaging System Upgrade/public/
Table of Contents
Project Background:Carestream Health, Inc., has a need for a research prototype of a clinical system capable of performing depth-resolved optical molecular imaging of a stationary human hand, specifically fluorescence imaging. The primary goal of this project is to develop the prototype and an effective calibration method. The prototype will be based upon modifications made to a currently available 2-D high-resolution, optical molecular imaging system applying a technology developed by Qioptiq Imaging Solutions, Inc. known as the structured illumination system to enable three dimensional capability. The calibration device will be a simple geometric test object will be developed to assess range, resolution and sensitivity of the desired prototype as well as being representative of features associated with the material properties and spatial organization of a human hand.
Problem Statement:The primary problem the team is trying to solve is the application of structured illumination to Carestream Healthcare current molecular imaging system platform. Supplemental goals include the development of a suitable calibration fixture and protocol.
- Application of structured illumination to KODAK F molecular imaging system
- Calibration device and procedure for prototype
- Full design documentation for prototype and calibration device
- Functional test data from prototype and calibration device
- Modified imaging system prototype and calibration device
- New design, drawings, software, and other applicable design documents
- Validation test results verifying prototype and calibration functionality
Expected Project Benefits:
- Upon completion of the project objectives, Carestream Health, Inc., will be enabled to evaluate the research prototype for possible future commercialization.
Core Team Members:
- Aaron Phipps (ME) - Project Manager
- Brandon Luquette (EE)- Technical Lead
- Patricia Heneka (ME)
- Ben McGee (EE)
- Dien Nguyen (CIS)
- Heather Drake (COS)
Strategy & Approach
Assumptions & Constraints:
- Qioptiq Imaging Solutions structured illumination system is suitable for application to the KODAK F molecular imaging system to solve the presented problem.
- The algorithms necessary to reconstruct depth information are able to be development in six months time
Issues & Risks:
- The project may be beyond pre-conceived expectations as no detailed plans have been developed.
- Structured illumination in this application may be prone to image artifacts.
- Distance between Carestream and RIT could could cause project delays.
- Possible budget limitations could impede progress into 2009.
- Many components and systems used in this investigation are very fragile.