Table of Contents
Project OverviewThe goal of the Robotic Platform Family of projects is to provide a product line of off-the-shelf motor modules and platforms for diverse applications. The RP 1kg (RP1) motor module (MM) follows previous designs of 100kg and 10kg models. The full description of this system is defined in the Interface Control Document (ICD).
This link is for use by those assessing our progress. Please refer to the links within this document to measure our success: MSD Grading Criteria (.xls)
This document details possible improvements to the design, methods to increase efficiency of the electrical systems, advancements to the software provided functionality, and ideas to reduce the production cost of the system as a whole: Future Improvements (.doc)
The Bottom LineComplete collection of all RP1 documentation, hardware information, and software builds:
User GuideA basic guide for using the Robotic Platform for 1kg loads.
System ControlFor all information on the system interfaces including ports, electrical characteristics, usage information, communication protocols, chassis characteristics, internal and external wiring and interconnect, and more please reference:
Software ControlFor all information regarding the Operational Software (firmware on-chip), the Windows/Linux client software Graphical User Interface (GUI), the PIC Operational Software, code repository location and structure, build instructions, programming instructions, Subversion Checkout procedures, and the P09204 Operational Software Application Programmers Interface (API) please reference:
Latest Software BuildsOperational Software (goes on the RP control system BDMicro ATmega128 microcontroller):
- rp-1.0-0 (.zip) SVN 699
Client GUI Software (compatible with Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X):
- rpgui-1.0-0 (.zip) SVN 702
- *WARNING* Client GUI Software requires Java 6 or higher to run!
Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) Motor and Servo Controller Arduino Nano source code:
- pid_ctrl-1.0-0 (.zip) SVN 717
Hardware ControlFor all information regarding the power distribution and conditioning circuitry, the Programmable Interface Controller (PIC) circuitry, the Motor Driver circuitry, internal electrical interfaces and characteristics, detailed interconnection discussion, board fabrication layouts, and more on the electrical subsystems of the RP1 P09204 control system please reference:
Detailed schematics and user manuals for microcontrollers:
Administrative ControlFor all information regarding customer requirements, customer needs, comprised materials list and billing information, and other administrative tools and documentation please reference:
System TestingFor all information pertaining to systems testing including unit testing of hardware and software systems and platform integration testing:
Team Member Information
|Nandini Vemuri||EE||Team Lead, Power Systems Design, System Testing|
|Jason Jack||CE||Technical Lead, GUI Design, Operational Software Design, Website Administrator|
|John Corleto||CE||PID Controller Design, Systems Integration|
|Emily Phillips||EE||Technical Writer, Financial Management, Systems Integration|
|Ryan Schmitt||CE||Wireless Systems Design, Systems Integration|
|Jeffrey Howe||EE||PCB Layout Design, Power Systems Design, DC Motor Driver Design|
- Project Name
- 2nd Generation RP1 Motion Controller
- Project Number
- Project Family
- Modular Scalable Robotic Vehicle Platform
- Vehicle Systems and Technologies
- Start Term
- End Term
- Faculty Guide
- Dr. Wayne Walter (ME); firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty Consultant
- Prof. George Slack (EE); email@example.com, Dr. Dan Phillips (EE); firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Todd Fernandez
- Primary Customer
- Dr. Ed Hensel (ME)
- Customer contact information
- RIT Mechanical Engineering
Project HistoryThe RP1 Generation 2 is an improvement of the existing RP1 Generation 1 system. For detailed information on the RP1 Gen1 system and the RP10 variant, please use the links below.
Project ContentBelow is a week by week record of all deliverable material for the RP1 project. All material is intended to be open for any person to view; if a link is broken or the content is restricted, please contact one of the Faculty Consultants for this project as listed in the Administrative Information section above.
- A collection of all weekly deliverables during Senior Design I.
- A collection of all weekly deliverables during Senior Design II.
- A collection of all material reviewed during the first Design Review for Senior Design I.
- A collection of all material reviewed during the second Design Review for Senior Design I.
- A collection of all design material including electrical schematics, PCB layouts, and operational software code and client GUI code.
- Any documentation on parts data sheets for parts used, motor data sheets, or microcontroller information.