P09452: Compressor Part Fabrication and Compressor Revamp/public/
Table of Contents
Product Description/Project Objective StatementThe P09452 Team will be asked to revamp a compressor so that it can be safely handled by RIT students. The goal for this project will be to prepare the compressor for future tests, and the instillation of a variable valve timing mechanism. To accomplish this, the team will have to perform structural analysis, electrical feed analysis and compressor process analysis. Also they will have to prepare a Data acquisition system, and possibly take the compressor apart and reduce its size. The final goal will be to make operating the compressor as safe as possible.
Key Business Goals/Project Deliverables
- Safety and minimizing effects on the surrounding college environment are key goals for the installation and revamp.
- RIT and Dresser-Rand intend on using the revamped compressor for future projects of health monitoring concerning variable valve timing technology.
- The interface should provide a head start for future teams to successfully create a data acquisition system.
Primary Market/Project OpportunitiesThe Primary Consumer is RIT
- Product is to be used in the college environment with minimal disturbances.
- Future Plans include generations to implement changes and create data acquisition system.
Secondary Market/Project OpportunitiesDresser-Rand Company
- Investigate technology and problems surrounding their products
- Use as a test compressor for performance issues and enhancements.
Assumptions and Constraints
- A compressor without an ITAR designation will be donated by Dresser Rand.
- It will be in good condition when it is donated.
- The test environment will have been vacated by the Formula Team.
- We will be able to use P08452's work on N30 compressor to help us work faster with or design.
- Dr. Margaret Bailey
- RIT Mechanical Engineering Department
- Future RIT students
- Co-ops and Grad students who will be running tests on the unit.