Table of Contents
Product Objective Statement
The purpose of this project is to design & develop interchangeable impellers and diffusers which will work on the existing PIV system in order to characterize different flows through the pump system developed under P08453.
Team will deliver 3 impellers & 3 diffusers which can be used on the existing pump system to characterize more sophisticated flow patterns. Additionally, the team will also be responsible for setting up experiments and performing PIV reading using the new impellers & diffusers in order to demonstrate the project.
This project is part of the 'R09450: Sustainable Technologies for the Global Marketplace' project family roadmap sponsored by Dresser-Rand Corp. The successful completion of this project will enable faculty researchers and graduate students to use the PIV system for both project and research. Furthermore, it can also be incorporated into labs and projects for undergraduate coursework.
Key Business Goals/Project Deliverables
- Deliver a total of 6 interchangeable impellers and diffusers (3 each) which can be used with the existing PIV system
- Demonstrate the new products by setting up the PIV system and performing readings
Primary Market/Project Opportunities
- KGCOE Faculty Researchers
- KGCOE Graduate Researchers
- Teaching tool for undergraduate coursework, projects and lab
- Facilitate graduate research and projects
Secondary Market/Project Opportunities
- Dresser-Rand Corp.
- All roles planned this quarter will be filled during both quarters
- Existing test stand can be used and improved for this project
- Existing test stand is in acceptable condition
- Outsourcing the manufacture of impellers and diffusers will not adversely effect the timeliness of the deliverables
- Budget: Project must be completed within the allocated budget
- Technical Expertise: Design of turbomachinery components requires a high level of technical knowledge that is usually not available from RIT coursework
- Time: All deliverables must be performed within the allotted 22 week timeframe, preferably by ImagineRIT
- Resources: Impeller and diffuser manufacturing requires precision machining operation
- Platform: The project must build upon the existing PIV system (P08453)
- KGCOE Course Instructors
- KGCOE Undergraduate Students
- Future Senior Design Instructors & Students