Visit to Nazareth 15 Sep09
- upperclassmen use wii
- need to know patient can benefit from using the wii before they know it is helping
- too much going on for most patients
- some upper classmen use it to play golf?
- other questions we might have?
- Balance Master - by NeuroCom
do not like that it's stationary
two people spotting
- assess - looks at current state and compares it to norms. a lot of research in balance and rehabilitation went into it
- treatment - don't usually have time for this phase
too much going on - don't use it all
- takes a long time to zero the patient and get them set up
- patients experience fatigue
- patients loose focus -- brain injury?
- patients already have vision problems
- can't take a step or they have to start over again
- Balance Bike - still broken but Luke wants to fix it
- auditory and visual queues
- lights on bike are too small -----NEED
- visually impaired patients need to be able to see feedback
Auditory good for students as well so if they are focusing on holding the patient they know when they've reached the required point.
- cognitively impaired patients don't use
- Flexibility of where she can put the Matt ---NEED
- equipment she already has and would like to use it on
- sitting in wheel chair
- sitting on table
- asses baseline ability
- shows what they did/didn't do
- if possible distances of how far they can move
- improvements tracked (based on baseline)
- reaction times
- How to display information
- need to be portable
- cost effective
- easy to use
- something in their hands? ---let's talk more about this she was thinking that would provide feedback but we were thinking they could just add weight
- DELETE safe range of motion need
- want them to be able to make mistakes
- if patient doesn't fall they won't learn how to correct themselves when they do fall in the future
- has to challenge them
- always students responsibility to catch
- (Rochelle got "safe" need from looking at the UEE project)
- something fun but not too distracting --NEED
- Wheel chair sizes - we will need something more engineering behind this I think?
- 18x18 - Normal size
- 20x20 - larger patients
- questions emailed to JJ - Due Friday afternoon so she can answer over the weekend
- list of questions for Mike and Andy - CANCELED reschedule for later int he quarter and will include:
- questions for patients
- questions for therapists
When we get farther along we can observe patients actually training balance.
Patients who are highly responsive. Beth comes in at 1pm and Mike at 2pm.