Concept Design Review Documents (SD I)
Week 5 Design Review Notes:
The presentation packet for Week 5 Design Review could be downloaded at Week 5 Review Packet (Powerpoint document). Below are a list of questions, comments and concerns.
Concerns & Comments
- Main concern is the drive system.
- Need a wieghted version of drive system matrix.
- Schedule meeting in two (2) weeks to update customer.
- Need a risk mitigation plan.
- Determine sweet spots for sensors in MSD 2 - DeMinco.
- Picture in slide 6 is confusing to some.
- Possible fuel rate measurement can be made by making an external tank with a load cell to measure rate.
- For stand concept selection slide, need to have one design to compare rest to.
- For bolt design, we could make them spring operated so they pop into the holes.
- Make handles on each side of stand to easily adjust angle.
- The stresses on the bolts at +/- 30 degrees could be more than at 0 degrees.
- We can extend muffler 1 ft away from the engine. We can also experiment with header length.
- Mount 0-2 sensor in bong in exhaust header.
- DeMinco is trying to get facilities to help with fans in dyno room.
- We might want to calibrate dyno for rotating mass of the sprockets.
- Steel sprockets might be too heavy for our application.
- Add safety to drive concept generation slide.
- To mount our stand to the dyno, we could make 2 long runners and make a new plate that we drill into.
- The dyno project has CAD files from PRO-E.
- Bolt sizes need to be considered carefully since more stress is exerted when engine tilts.
- The holes on the Dyno stand are reamed.
- Fuel vapor with standing air could be a problem. Might need to add fans under the dyno to move the air.
- Talk to Baja team at University of Michigan about their dyno resources. (UPDATE, Michigan team not collaborative - not contact)
- Use of large-scale dyno on small-scale engine.
- Are the thermocouples going to come off of the engine with all the vibration?
- Will there be variability in the temperatures of the fins around the engine?
- Is there going to be a definite sensor location? (ANSWERED, Yes)
- Are we going to use the stepper motor that is already available to us?(ANSWERED, Yes)
- Is ME dyno within our engine's range?
- Is the 150lbf load cell OK to use?
- Is the test stand in the block diagram slide? (ANSWERED, No)
- Is it easy to switch engines on the Dyno? (ANSWERED, Sort of )
- How did we score the matrices? Group consensus or weighted system.
- Does the dyno belong to someone else? (ANSWERED, belongs to RIT)
- There was safety in drive selection but not in stand design?(ADD)
- Is the fuel tank going to be remote or on the engine?
- Where are the power electronics in relation to fuel tank? (ANSWERED, Underneath in insulated cover)
- Why tilt the engine? (ANSWERED, oil splash and more reliability in well.)
- If you set the gas tank higher, does the pressure increase? (ANSWERED, No thats the beauty of carburetors)
- Is the dnyo a DC or AC motor? (ANSWERED, Dyno is Siemens DC Motor)
- Does the rooms exhaust system suck enough. Concerns about false 0-2 sensor.
- Will engine failure lead to bad situation with chain drive? Many were leaning towards belt drive.
- Where will the sensor data go to? (ANSWERED)
- Is the dyno plate welded on there?