Dr. Jason Kolodziej 1
Dr. Kolodziej First Interview
- Interviewers: Daniel Graves, Christopher Barrett
- Sponsor: College of Imaging Science
- Date: 25 March 2009
What is the overall goal for the UAV family of projects?
- Sponsor: The goal of the UAV project family is to develope a fully open-source open-architecture aerial platform for testing and aerial photography.
The UAV Airframe projects are an extension of a current Senior Design project. How is that family of projects currently progressing?
- Sponsor: Currently the UAV B Airframe is utilizing a gasoline powered motor, with a projected end weight of 42 pounds. The UAV B Airframe is currently under construction, while the UAV A Frame has successfully gone through first flight testing.
What role does our Senior Design Project play in extending the previous projects?
- Sponsor: We are looking to modify the current Senior Design project for the UAV Airframe B to achieve new goals of on-site launch capabilities while maintaining the desired functionality of the current UAV B platform. Additionally, we are looking for further integration of a control system with the ultimate goal of autonomous flight.
Who is the active customer for the P10232 project?
- Sponsor: The active customers are myself (Dr. Kolodziej), Dr. Hensel, and the RIT College of Imaging Science.
How are the overall objectives the same or different from the P09232 project.
- Sponsor: The objectives will be slightly different from the current generation of projects. We are looking for the UAV B airframe to have on site launch capabilities, and reducing the total flight time from 1 hour to around 20 minutes. The overall goal of creating a stable platform for aerial imaging remains the same.
Are there any specific improvements which you would like to see implemented in our project?
- Sponsor: We are looking to change from using a gas powered engine in the UAV B platform to an electric engine. We are also looking to increase the in-house production capabilities to move toward the goal of fully open-source and open-architecture.
Who are other good points of contact for the UAV project?
- Josh Wagner, the current UAV B Project Lead
- Gerry Garavuso
- Dr. Crassidis