P10713: Wegman's Culinary Center Batch Prep/public/
Table of Contents
Product Description/Project Objective StatementThe batch/prep process currently takes place in the Central Kitchen and is where the ingredients for soups and sauces are batched and prepped for cooking. Currently there are Ergonomic and Safety concerns, along capacity constraints that exist and Wegmans has no room to expand the current facility.
Key Business Goals/Project Deliverables
- Analyze and make necessary improvements to ergonomic issues to meet OSHA recommended levels
- Develop Rate of Expectancy (RE) in lbs/hour for each product to assist in scheduling needs
- Develop standard work procedures
- Develop a layout to facilitate standard work procedures
Secondary Market/Project Opportunities
- RIT - Develop future projects with Wegmans
- Wegmans Employees - Benefit from a safer, more productive work environment
- Soup and Sauce Customers - Higher availability of product
- RIT Students - Opportunity to work on an open ended project for a Fortune Magazine number 5 best company
Assumptions and Constraints
- The MSD schedule requires project to be completed in 22 weeks
- The FDA regulates all food production facilities, so all tool implementation must meet FDA guidelines.