Select Product Concept(s)
Table of Contents
Step 1. Prepare the Selection Matrix
Step 2. Rate the Concepts
- Saw Concepts will not be ideal unless burs resulting from the cut are eliminated
- Heated Wire Concepts will not be feasible because it may be difficult to heat up a wire to this temperature for the duration of the day. The density of the material will also make it more difficult to cut through with a heated wire.
- Razor or chopping concepts will be the most seriously considered because the supplier of the Raw material already uses this type of cutting action.
- Toothless saw blades may be an option which is worth pursuing further, if a clean cut with no deformation is created.
Step 3. Rank the ConceptsBased on the results gathered from the Pugh chart selection matrix and the above rating of the concepts several design concepts have been chosen as the best. These designs are as follows:
- Sliding Cutter 7+'s, 0-'s, 9s
- Chopper Cutter 6+'s, 0-'s, 10s
- Stacking Chopper 7+'s, 0-'s, 9s
- Conveyor Toothpick & Hopper Design Guillotene 7+'s, 0-'s, 9s
- Deli Slicer 7+'s, 2-'s, 7s
Step 4. Combine and Improve the Concepts
- Even though the use of saw type cutting devices in the final concept have been eliminated, the support structure for the Linear Feed Circular Saw is still being considered as a viable option for a different type of cutting mechanism.
- Different means to hold the straws in place will have to be considered as well, mainly if a horizontal or vertical position will be favored for the cutting operation. For the listed chopping/slicing methods both orientations will work.
Step 5. Select One or More ConceptsBased on a non-linear, weighted selection matrix of the best ranked concepts three concepts were tied for the best available concept. These three concepts are the Sliding Cutter, the Stacking Chopper and the Conveyor Toothpick & Hopper Design Guillotine. However these concepts are very similarly ranked and only vary by one ranking so even though one may be ranked higher on this matrix it does not necessarily mean that it would be both the best concept, as well as the most feasible to produce.
This matrix does however clearly illustrate that a chopping/slicing method is the best cutting method amongst the proposed concepts. Based on this the proposed designs have been limited to either the guillotine type chopper, or the sliding type cutter.