Future Works and Recommendations
Table of Contents
In future MSD projects, specifically the family of projects revolving around this device, the primary goal should be to design, build and control the device easier without needing customer to face at a certain direction or fixed position. The next iteration of this project should be focused on building a more user-friendly device that is more efficient as well as being lower maintenance than this iterationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s outcome.
Future Students' Field of StudySince the portion of the project is mainly focused on software/database development. This means that the next iteration of this specific portion should include the following majors:
- CE: for overall development and concept generation at a higher level
- SE: for software development and interface improvement
- IT: for database access, network and connectivity
- EE: for RFID testing and improvement and path correction methods development.
- The team should ensure that the RGRTA are capable and willing to work with the future project within MSD's timeline.
- The team should work more closely with RGRTA in order to ensure the proper development within RGRTAÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s limitations as well as ensuring the implementation of the device once itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s built and tested.
- The speed of the system should be improved as well to account for real-time changes instead of being only capable of one update per minute.
Path Correction MethodsNote that path correction method is only suitable for the large bus-stop like the Gleason circle one. It is unnecessary for other bus-stop especially (i.e. the bus stop in front of AVBI).
- Option 1: If the future team design to continue to use the Razor IMU or something in similar, the future team must be able determine the specific acceleration in horizontal plane calculation that discount the gravity and tilt. Since there are uncertainties in all Razor IMU measurements, these may effect the actual measurements and the Riemann sums calculation causing the running data (when there is no movement).
- Option 2: The future team can also do extensive research to come up with different way for path correction that is simple, easier to design, and less complicated to implement. As specify in customer needs, any new method must not be expensive and must be relatively small in size.
It is recommend to have a separate senior design team working in parallel with the future team to come up with the best way of doing path correction. The team should consist of students from EE and CE (or ME if necessary).
Bus Stop Identification and Starting Point Determination
- The future team should purchase the more suitable RFID tag for an outdoor environment. There are several passive tags that are designed to work outdoor and on metal (bus stop pole).
- RFID tags for use on metal:
- RFID enabled bolts:
- The future team should work closely with the future team of P11016.
- The future team may be able to adapt the intra-building navigation methods by placing several RFID tags within the bus stop area. Use the system to tell the location of user, give more starting location, and/or aid in path correction.
- Possibly find another antenna than the one currently being used.
- The future team should add another feature to the software portion that verifies bus selection and then the bus when the user arrives at the selected bus is also recommended in order to ensure the user arrives at their desired bus.
- The software should be improved to be more robust and flexible to accommodate for any bus stop alongside the Gleason Circle. Possibly having team members that is familiar with MS Visual Studios and MS SQL Server with Server Management Studios would definitely simplify the process because those software packages are what the team would need if they choose to work with RGRTSÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s database.
- The software portion of this project can be use in some existing devices such as smart phone. Note that smart phones generally have GPS, wifi-positioning system, cellular-positioning system, magnetometer, and gyroscope that can be used for accurate path correction. The application can be helpful for all types of user such as RIT students to tell the location their desired bus(es).