- The Sustainable track of projects aims to develop technologies or tools in order to make the human race a sustainable species.
P11411 Mission Statement
- Our goal is to design and fabricate an educational water desalinization tool for RIT and RIT Dubai students that will demonstrate the small scale operation of a desalinization unit in an educational laboratory setting. In the process, we will identify and provide solutions to international logistical issues encountered while working in a multi-national and multi-cultural environment.
- The primary focus of this project is to better understand the desalinization process by focusing on designing and manufacturing a single laboratory-scale desalinization unit. This project will fall within the cleaning module/function of the Sustainable Water System roadmap family. The secondary focus of this project is to study and document processes, tools, and techniques for multi-national multi-disciplinary senior design projects. This project will provide the foundation upon which all future multi-national MSD projects between our two campuses complete their senior design projects in a collaborative environment. In order to support this secondary focus, we will intentionally limit the technical scope related to the primary focus.
For an updated project description, click on the following link for the Project Readiness Package.
Roadmapping Team Mission
The mission of this Senior Design team is to collaboratively develop a water purification system. The plan was initiated on November 29, 2010 and will be completed by May 12, 2011. This will include the two phases of design and building for the system.
Gathering & Analyzing Stakeholder Information (VoC)
In this portion of the MSD 1 stakeholders were interviewed. The content of the interviews and the summarized results can be found here:
Developing a Engineering Roadmap (VoE)
An outline of important characteristics has been gathered and quantified to find the most important. The P11411 team is now focusing on the different embodiments the MDSD team could potentially employ
This includes but is not limited to:
- Renewable Resource type
- Parabolic Trough
- Flat Plate
- Preheat through hot beds
- Sizing of the System
- Student Interface
Historical Context of This Project Family
There is no historical context with respect to a divided Senior Design team! This project is paving the way for developing a MDSD program in RIT Dubai. The team of 3 Mechanical Engineering students currently in Dubai are pioneering the way for future students to follow a curriculum similar to RIT's.
Based on speaking with our customer and mentor, this project has three main goals:
- Develop a water purification system that will be the building block for future generations of engineers to work from
- Design the system for use in a laboratory as a hands on, learning tool
- Understand the logistics required for a Senior Design project to successfully be completed in Dubai