P11411: Desalination Systems -- Dubai/public/
- Slant the glass along the shorter side of the still
- Water droplets fall back into the basin as the water runs down the glass. A shorter length for the water to travel should allow for more water collection.
- Do not use RAINX or any other type of coating
- Works too well, the water droplets do not make it down the glass. Also, raised concerns if the water was going to be used for drinking.
- Buy Stainless Steel Bolts and Nuts
- Make sure that the bolts are stainless steel and not zinc plated. The bolts rust VERY quickly, and the stainless steel bolts in the shop did not work.
- Do not use 2 inch Copper Tubing for the CPC
- The 2in copper tubing is much more expensive and takes a lot of water to fill the system. Smaller CPC tubing will be less expensive and more troughs could be used to gain the same energy output.
- Find a different adhesive for Mylar on CPC
- Current adhesive seams to have peeled away from the foam after exposed to heat. Finding an adhesive that does not eat the foam and withstands the heat would be ideal.
- Change material for sides of Solar Still
- As the water condenses on the sides it defeats the purpose of the transparent acrylic material. Choosing a material that is not transparent with better insulating properties could increase Solar Still efficiency.