Build, Test, Document
Table of Contents
Sample categories are listed below, but feel free to change or add nodes to better correspond to your project and your Guide’s expectations. To save time and effort, add links to documents within your EDGE file repository whenever possible.
Test Plans & Test ResultsTest Plan / Debugging
Functional & Performance Review
Tested and proved at imagine RIT
During the Imagine RIT event, some things went as expected and some things went wrong, but overall, it was a success.
What went wrong:
The Servos were working independently in the lab, but when they were integrated on to the actual platform, one of the voltage regulators heated up rapidly. A makeshift implementation was created for the servos to work, but when the board is turned off, there was reverse drain on the current. To be safe, the servos were excluded from the event.
The entire platform depends on Wi-Fi in its actual implementation. In the Lab, the Wi-Fi is very responsive and provides a pleasant experience while controlling the ambassador. On the day of Imagine RIT, it worked as expected in the early morning. But as people started strolling in and field house started getting populated, the Wi-Fi performance was getting worse and after it was unusable around 9:30AM for the Pandaboard as its antenna is not very powerful. The access points being very far only added to the problem. The RIT Wi-Fi is only needed to stream from the camera. An Ad-Hoc network could have been created from Pandaboard so that the remote is still functional.
To enable the remote functionality, we needed to connect a display to the Pandaboard. In the current implementation, and HDMI cable goes from the Pandaboard to the female to female extension in the casing. From outside the casing, another HDMI cable connects the casing to the Lilliput display. We brought our debug equipment to the field house. However, when it was time to debug, when we connect the Pandaboard to the display, the display detects a signal but it’s just black. After many different common attempts to get the display to work were futile, it was assumed that the Pandaboard display port stopped functioning. This really got our hopes down and we thought the ambassador would be a dud for the rest of the day.
To change anything in the Pandaboard, we needed to connect to it either via a keyboard, mouse and monitor or via internet. If it is connected via Wi-Fi, we can access it via wamb.student.rit.edu; however the Wi-Fi was not working. It can be connected via Ethernet as well, but we don’t know the address of it, so it is not possible to access it.
The playbook was problematic as the maximum time its screen can stay awake when not touched is 5 minutes. If we forget to touch the screen once in 5 minutes, it goes to sleep and the video stream stops, and it has to be restarted.
What went right:
In a very lucky way, I installed remote desktop package several weeks prior to Imagine RIT, just for curiosity and exploration. It saved the day for the Ambassador. The Wi-Fi was somewhat functions for 2-3 minutes, once every 10 minutes. I constantly tried to access it, hoping to connect to it when the internet works and in a little window of opportunity that I got, I was able to setup the Pandaboard to function with a keyboard. For the rest of the day, the ambassador was demonstrated and navigated with
The video streaming was not part of the requirements but it was implemented quickly so that visitor interest is gained. It may have significantly contributed to winning the prize.
All the problems had very simple solutions, but they were just not thought of, during the event. For the servo problem, it just happened to be that the ground wire was incorrectly connected in a not easily detectable way. For the display problem, the problem was not the Pandaboard as assumed. It was the female to female HDMI connector. It was not suspected because the monitor detected a black signal, however, when we came back to the lab, testing was performed and it was discovered that connecting a monitor to the Pandaboard directly works fine. It was just that the extension setup does not always work. Finally, the playbook could have been easily forced to not sleep by downloading an app called stay on.