Table of Contents
For any material that is not covered within this section please refer to the full report which can be downloaded here:
Please refer to the Sensor Info section for all sensor information
Materials That Were Reviewed in the Detailed Design Review:
- Project Background and Approach
- Critical Specs
- Customer Needs and Engineering Specs
- Test Stand and Power Supply
- Disconnect System
- Voltage Regulator Redesign
- Heat Sink
- Sensor Info
- Test Procedure
- Bill of Materials
- MSDII Plan
Project Background and ApproachProject Background
Over the past four years, RIT students have designed, assembled, and tested the Wandering Ambassador. They have succeeded in their goal of showcasing the creativity and aptitude of RIT students. Since the first year, the complexity of the project has grown immensely. The task of comprehending and understanding past modifications to enhance the project further has become a laborious task. Any further multidisciplinary modifications can only be done in a serial progression because of the current layout causing unnecessary time delays.
Our goal is to reduce the period in which a new group can familiarize themselves with the Wandering Ambassador. In addition, a comprehensive testing platform will be designed to allow quicker problem solving and multidisciplinary work to be performed in parallel.
Improve modularity of the system to be able to separate and reassemble the electrical and mechanical components rapidly. Keep the electrical system organized and optimized for future improvements. Enhance the campus experience for prospective students. Showcase aptitude of RIT engineering students Create a user friendly interface for detecting hardware malfunctions. Tutorials for I2C interfaces and data analyzer.
- A test stand that will allow future teams to quickly troubleshoot and develop new electronic and software solutions.
- A learning module on communications interfaces tailored to the Wandering Ambassador project that will allow a new group to quickly ascertain how to program and make changes to the ambassador.
- An ambassador that wanders around the campus manually while reporting its coordinates.
- A tutorial describing I2C interfaces
Expected Project Benefits At present, prospective RIT students interact with human ambassadors who guide them around the campus. This project will help these students discover the possibilities an RIT education can provide. Students will be able to interact with The Wandering Ambassador to find directions, local weather, events, dining locations and other information pertaining to campus life. In addition, the proposed improvements and learning tools will help future engineering teams further develop the Wandering Ambassador platform.
Strategy & Approach
Assumptions & Constraints: The team must have a well-rounded understanding of the current Wandering Ambassador robot in order to enable off-line development, experimentation, and debugging. The team must assume particular components of the current robot are operable. The ability to enable parallel development and create a modular system for upcoming teams will prove to be a constraint due to several technologies being developed simultaneously. The team will focus on design issues throughout the duration of the project in order to assist the development of future design iterations.
Issues & Risks:' Increase reliability of Wandering Ambassador
Redesign of selected systems to allow for increased functionality and addition of peripherals by future MSD teams
Mitigate troubleshooting by creating a test stand, disconnect system and diagnostic GUI
Expectations and Outcome of Detailed Design Review
Highlight limitations of proposed designs and subsystems
Feedback from faculty regarding software solutions
General comments and input from faculty
Permission to move forward with design and order parts
Top ten critical specs
Customer Needs and Engineering Specs
Diagnostic Tool BoxWe developed a few tool sets in order to counter any issues that come up with the Wandering Ambassador.
- A diagnostics worksheet: Wambassador Diagnostic Protocol
- A separate SD card which will run a special diagnostics protocol on the wandering ambassador
- A sensor monitoring protocol which can be run on the wandering ambassador or wireless connect to the platform to evaluate the sensors from any computer. The visula interface for this diagnostic will look comehting like this: