P12401: Wind Energy Collection to Energy Bank/public/
Customer and Stakeholder InvolvementIt is important that teams maintain at least a medium level of user intervention and a much closer distance to the user environment. This includes field observations of current prototypes as well as participant observation. Interviews can still be done, however, in order to properly gauge customer satisfaction and necessary device improvements.
- The team will be expected to carry out the vast majority of their interactions with the Team Guide.
- The sponsor and primary customer will be available for a series of meetings during the course of the project, and will meet with a group of teams during the beginning of MSD1 to lay out common goals, objectives, and philosophies for the sequence of projects.
- The SESE for the LVE and WOCCSE will be ready for use by September 2013.
- The design shall comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The team's design project report should include references to, and compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations (see ISO Standards for Energy Collection)
- The design shall comply with all applicable RIT Policies and Procedures. The team's design project report should include references to, and compliance with all applicable RIT Policies and Procedures.
- The WECEB team will be given a budget of $1000. The budget of the sister team, P12402, can donate some of their money to the WECEB team or vice versa, if needed.
- The team will be required to keep track of all expenses incurred with their project.
- Purchases for this roadmap will be run through the Mechanical Engineering Office. This team must complete a standard MSD purchase requisition and have it approved by their guide. After guide approval, the purchasing agent for the team can work with Ms. Venessa Mitchell in the ME office to execute the purchase and obtain the materials and supplies.
- Adverse environmental impacts of the project, such as the release of toxic materials or disruption of the natural wildlife, are to be minimized.
- Particular focus should be placed on resource sustainability (described further in Sustainability Constraints).
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are required for all materials.
- The WECEB team is expected to demonstrate the value and outcome of their project at the annual Imagine RIT festival in the spring.
- The team in this roadmap is expected to produce outcomes and artifacts which will inspire middle school and high school students to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- This project should promote and enhance multidisciplinary education at RIT by providing students more time and experience with working with other students outside their majors.
- Every member of every team is expected to comply with Institute Policies, including the Policy on Academic Honesty, and the Policy on Academic Accommodations.
Health and Safety Constraints
- Wherever practical, the design should follow industry standard codes and standards (e.g. Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS), FCC regulations, IEEE standards, and relevant safety standards as prescribed by IEC, including IEC60601). The team's design project report should include references to, and compliance with industry codes or standards.
- Commercially available, Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components available from more than one vendor are preferred.
- It is preferable to manufacture and assemble components in-house from raw materials where feasible.
- Students should articulate the reasoning and logic behind tolerances and specifications on manufacturing dimensions and purchasing specifications.
Intellectual Property Constraints
- All work to be completed by students in this track is expected to be released to the public domain. Students, Faculty, Staff, and other participants in the project will be expected to release rights to their designs, documents, drawings, etc., to the public domain, so that others may freely build upon the results and findings without constraint.
- Students, Faculty, and Staff associated with the project are encouraged to publish findings, data, and results openly.
- Students, Faculty, and Staff associated with the project are expected to respect the intellectual property of others, including copyright and patent rights.
- All raw materials and purchased materials, supplies, and components used in the roadmap must have a clearly defined Re-Use, Re-Manufacturing, or Recycling plan.
- This is intended to be a "Zero Landfill" project. This includes documents as well as project materials.
- This WECEB team is limited to no more than 150 pages of printed documentation during MSD1 and MSD2 (not including the MSD2 poster and MSD2 technical paper). The team may use an unlimited amount of electronic documentation, unless disk space becomes limited on the server.
- The team must prepare an MSD2 poster and technical paper which is exempt from the paper constraint above.
Mission Statement | Stakeholders | Benchmarks | Constraints | Objective Tree | Customer Needs | Engineering Specifications
Work Breakdown Structure | Function Structure Diagram | Concept Generation | Concept Selection | Risk Analysis | Initial Design Documentation | Systems Design | Detailed Design