P12555: VAR Billett Measuring System/public/
- Design and integrate a non-contact measurement system for metallic billets.
- Billets can range from 17 to 22 inches in diameter, 160 inches in length, and weigh up to 8 tons.
- The system must be able to map diameter vs. length, and if possible, keep track of the rotational position of the billet at all measurements.
- Accuracy of .1 inch is required for both diameter and length, and measurements should be taken at least every 3 to 4 inches along the length of the billet.
- In an effort to minimize extra steps, and thus reduce wasted time, the system should be fitted into the preexisting VAR process.
- Measuring system must be durable enough to handle factory conditions.