Table of Contents
SDR Action Items
The following items were discussed during the SDR and require further action.
1. Update Needs/Specs
- Add the spec that there must be a separate servo controlling each aileron on the RC aircraft
- Modify the flight time spec to 10 min. (marginal) and 20 min. (ideal)
2. ArduPilot Investigation
- Determine the data logging rate capabilities of ArduPilot
- Determine the number of I/O channels available for use on ArduPilot
- Investigate options for powering ArduPilot
- Investigate the cost and method of installation related to incorporating an airspeed indicator with ArduPilot (an optional feature)
- Investigate the possibility of increasing ArduPilot's data storage capabilities
3. Fault Sensor Investigation
- Benchmark potential sensors used for seeded fault detection
4. Video System Investigation
- Provide a cost analysis for 2 systems of interest. 1: CMOS video 2: Digital video using the Keychain #16 camera and a headset
5. RC Aircraft Investigation
- Refine search for RC aircraft to include aircraft with separate servos for each aileron
- Visit a local hobby-store (Dan's Crafts and Things/Performance Hobby) to measure interior cargo space of prospective aircraft
6. Update Schedule
- Modify Gantt chart to include these actions and post to EDGE
- Add Gantt chart to SDR presentation
DDR Action Items
The following items were discussed during the DDR and require further action.
- Add flight data logging to project goals
- Ensure design keeps CG at the 1/4 chord location
- Generate a UML flowchart
- Order PPM cables for simulations
- Check into possibility of simulating with a custom plane
- Investigate the possibility to avoid storing debugging file
- Plan for accelerometer testing on newly acquired shaker table
- For rudder fault, watch for sensor travel issues
- Electro-magnetic actuation for rudder fault?
- For aileron failure relay, make sure it is isolated from analog
- Use opto-coupler for aileron failure?
- Investigate need for second battery for video system power (could be too heavy)
- Get sample image from for HD mini camcorder
- If needed, can spend up to $200 dollars on still image sytem
- Fabricate PCB for imaging system to allow for easy plug-and-play in different aircraft
- Is servo position stored?
- Create flow diagram to accompany the system integration chart
- Note total budget = $2500 (intend to spend less to allow for future projects)
- Sign up for Imagine RIT
- Allot enough time for calibrating sensors
- Build breadboard circuits early for testing purposes
- Allot time in schedule for servo calibration
- Plan weekly Friday updates to take place during MSD II
MSD IIThe following presentation summarizes the success of the project at week 10 of the spring quarter.
The technical paper provides in-depth information on the design process throughout the different phases of the project.
The Poster was displayed at the Imagine RIT Festival and summarized the goals and outcomes of the project.
Final Budget and Expenses
The initial budget proposal came to roughly $990 and the final amount spent came to roughly $1450. The additional expenses arose due to the need for airframe repairs (~$100), switching to the use of a GoPro for the imaging system (~$300), and the purchase of WinTV for video recording (~$70). A document detailing the expenses can be downloaded by clicking the link below.
Purchasing Records: Purchase Records (Downloads an Excel document)