Build, Test, Document
Table of Contents
Website should document your journey through MSD, so include work-in-progress as well as latest results. Use pdf's for display whenever possible so that information is easily viewable without the need to download files and open applications. (Your EDGE file repository should still contain original files).
Sample categories are listed below, but feel free to change or add nodes to better correspond to your project and your Guide’s expectations.
Build, Test, and Integrate
Fully Built / Initial Test - 1/25/13 (Load and water Injection not tested)
- Most systems are fully functional.
- Data acquisition and control are consistent.
- Small gas leak near throttle/carb.
- Solenoid connecting rod for choke vibrates loose / off.
- Bracket holding solenoid and injector needs to be tightened.
- Encoder is very close to rotating disk.
- Servo controller box needs to be firmly mounted.
- Siding needs to be secured to prevent loosening from vibration.
- The electric motor is not a DC motor but rather a
series motor (universal motor) and will not work as a
generator in its current state.
- Fix: Apply a DC voltage to the secondary coils to create magnetic field. This will induce voltage in the rotating armature.
- Current draw and output voltage will need to be determined experimentally.
Further Testing up to 2/6/13
- Most problems were resolved. Confirmed during further testing.
- Series motor will not work as a generator:
- Several wiring configurations were attempted and failed.
- Lack of magnetic field and low coil resistance make it almost impossible.
- Corrective action: Replace series motor with PMDC motor.
- Coupling loosens on engine shaft despite tightening.
- Corrective action(s): Loctite and shim the series motor for more exact alignment.
- PMDC motor transplant was a success.
- 2.5 kW of power was generated.
- Load cell water was warm after several minutes.
- Some coupling vibration. Needs to be shimmed.
- Limitations of new PMDC motor:
- Overheating above 2500 RPM. (Brush limitation)
- 150 VDC @ 13A ~2000 watts.
- Water injection system is functional.
- Water injection and valve controller is not
- Found broken solder joint. Further troubleshooting needed.
- Everything is functional except water injection contoller.
- Sample Log (2/15/13)