Table of Contents
This page documents the process from the initial Problem Definition to a full Systems Level Design of a Jib Transfer Bench.
Previous Sonar Adaptive Sailing MSD Projects
- P12031- Motion Assistive Seating Device for Sailing
- P13032- Universal Gold Medal Sailing Seat
- P13031-Jib transfer Bench (1st iteration)
Current Assistive Devices at Piers Park Sailing Center
- Forward and/or Aft Stability Bar
- Jen French Bench
- Brennan Chair
- Charlie Chair
- Tractor Seat
- Plastique Chair
Detailed descriptions and pictures of each device can be found in the Piers Park Adaptive Seating Overview provided to the team by Caitlyn Connolly, Adaptive Recreation Director at Piers Park in Boston, MA.
- The MSD team explored devices that function similar to a transfer bench (i.e. move a user from side to side)- Benchmarking Table
The Functional Decomposition diagram shows the breakdown of functions that the Jib Transfer Bench should perform.
The functional decomposition is set up in a way that when read top to bottom answer the question "how?" at each subsequent level. When read bottom to top the functions answer the question "why?" at each increasing level.
The following is the functional decomposition for the
core function "The Jib Transfer Bench allows disabled
persons to perform the duties of a jib trimmer":
The Morphological Chart summarizes the brainstorming process. Ideas were brainstormed around the core functions in the Functional Decomposition.
From these ideas, concepts were developed. The following are some concepts generated by the team:
- Seat Assembly Concepts (Drawings by Matt Brunelle):
- Lateral Movement Mechanism Concepts (Drawings by Matt Brunelle):
The team divided the full system into 4 assemblies:
- Seat Assembly
- Movement Assist Assembly
- Lateral Movement Assembly
- Rotational Movement Assembly
Pugh Charts were developed for each assembly to determine the "best" system design. (Note: just because the Pugh Charts identify one design as "better" than another the charts do not consider the importance of the criteria used)
The following concept is recommended moving forward:
Systems ArchitectureThe Jib Transfer Bench system, as a whole, will be composed of several sub-systems. The sub-systems of the final design will include:
- Seat Assembly (seat assembly will contain a securing mechanism to secure user in the proper position)
- Lateral Movement Mechanism
- Rotational Movement Mechanism
- Movement Assist (method of how to move user between port and starboard)
- Locking Mechanism (to lock the position of user at port and starboard)
Initial feasibility analysis outlines the potential forces on the final design:
Systems Design Review
- SDR Presentation Slides - P14031 Presentation Slides