Table of Contents
Your website should document your journey through MSD, so include work-in-progress as well as latest results. Use pdf's for display whenever possible so that information is easily viewable without the need to download files and open applications. (Your EDGE file repository should still contain original files).
Sample categories are listed below, but feel free to change or add nodes to better correspond to your project and your Guide’s expectations.
Project SummaryProblem statement:
In order to simultaneously collect emissions and transport undisturbed casts for analysis, current hollow cast models will be combined with the existing side stream smoking machine. Device will operate using acquired data from the wPSMD. Unit needs to be self-contained, portable, fit on a workbench, and user friendly. The unit must also be production ready for identical machines in other labs. During operation smoke needs to be ventilated responsibly and the unit must be interfaced with LabVIEW.
Link to 1-page project summary or project charter
Customer Requirements (Needs)
A transcript of our interview questions and answers from our first interview with Dr. Robinson can be found in our first interview file.
Notes from our second meeting with Dr. Robinson can be found in our Second Customer Interview file.
Engineering Requirements (Specifications)
As for engineering requirements there are a few key ideas that need to happen:
- The smoking machine must be modified to smoke a single cigarette instead of five cigarettes at a time
- Leaks from connections of the machine have to be designed better in order to avoid excessive smoke in the enclosed space the machine is in.
- Labview program must be created to have the smoking machine smoke a cigarette as humanlike as possible
- Sensors must be placed in order to receive feedback on how well program performs with the machine.
- Smoking machine must be able to collect smoke streams as well as be able to deposit smoke particles onto an artificial lung.
- Smoking machine should be able to be used with regular cigarettes as well as electronic cigarettes.
- A better ventilation system should be created in order to avoid smoke getting out of the enclosed area.
A full list of our Engineering requirements as well as Customer Requirements can be found in our Relationship Diagram.