|Project Summary||Project Information|
The RIT Hot Wheelz Electric Vehicle Team is a group of all-female undergraduate engineers who come together to form a team of innovative and creative race enthusiasts. Their focus is an environment of both learning and teaching with hands-on design and build experience. Previously, the team has competed in only RIT-specific events at Imagine RIT. Over the past 4 years, they have competed in an Electric Dragster Competition in 2012 (1st Place), an Electric Endurance Competition in 2013 (3rd Place and the Innovation Award), and an Electric Autocross Competition in 2013 (3rd Place). Due to the high level of performance and achievement during their previous competitions, the Hot Wheelz team is ready to take their skills to the next level and enter into a more rigorous competition! The team will be designing and building a new car from the ground up and entering into the 2016 Formula Hybrid competition in the electric only category.
With this goal in mind, the Hot Wheelz team is in need of a way to test their electro-mechanical drive system before it is installed in their completed chassis. The team needs to ensure that the drive system is properly calibrated and safe. Our project goal is to design a test bench for the Hot Wheelz team electro-mechanical drive system to help make sure that the team's car is ready for competition next year.
Project Progression - Utilizing the KGCOE Dynamometer
The initial scope of our project was to design an independent testing platform that could be utilized by the RIT Hot Wheelz Formula SAE Electric team in their team room. After eight weeks of hard work and investigation, it was determined that designing a new system from scratch was not the best solution to the problem. Moving forward, the senior design team should integrate with an operational dynamometer located in the Kate Gleason College of Engineering Machine Shop, only two floors below the Hot Wheelz team room.
Why is the KGCOE Dynamometer a better solution?
When diving into the subsystem design of the original test bench idea, the team came to realize that in order to properly load the motor for testing and dissipate the resulting energy, large amounts of heat would be generated. It was determined that we would need to add some sort of ventilation or cooling component to the project, which we had not initially budgeted or planned for. In a search to find a facility that had pre-existing ventilation for our application, we were able to examine the KGCOE Dynamometer. We realized that we didn't need to create our own test bench system when there is an existing system already in place and available for our use. At this point of the project, we made the decision to reformat our project to now integrate with the existing dyno system rather than design our own test bench from scratch.
Project ConclusionThe Senior Design team handed off the completed powertrain test bench to a pleased customer. The customer ultimately did not deliver the powertrain the system was originally designed for but did deliver a similar setup. Based on the similar setup all applicable customer requirements were met.
As most first time projects, there are many areas that this first iteration can be improved upon! Please visit our Final Documentation Page by clicking here! There you will find pertinent documents to the project as well as future recommendations.
We would like to thank everyone that supported this project!
|Maura Chmielowiec||Mechanical Engineer||Project Manageremail@example.com|
|Jennifer Smith||Mechanical Engineer||Finance & Parts Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Eric Paterno||Mechanical Engineer||Facilitator & Mechanical System Integrationemail@example.com|
|Vladimir Kravljaca||Electrical Engineer||Digital System Integrationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Henry Lei||Electrical Engineer||Risk Manageremail@example.com|
|Dixon Wong||Electrical Engineer||Sensor Data Acquisitionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Table of Contents
|MSD I & II||MSD I||MSD II|
1. Test Bench (Week 1-8)
2. KGCOE Dyno (Week 9-16)