Table of Contents
Project SummaryAs oil and gasoline prices continue to rise, along with their environmental concerns, the discovery of natural gas sources in the United States creates the opportunity to utilize natural gas as an alternative for transportation fuel. This project relates to the means for delivering a precise portion of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) for use in an internal combustion engine through the use of a mass flow rate controller. A current design, developed by Alphacon LLC, can regulate mass flow rate by manual operation. It is our goal to analyze and improve on the current device by implementing a means of control in order to increase the flow rate accuracy.
The primary objective of this project is to design a Gaseous Mass Flow Rate Controller (GMFRC) that can deliver a precise amount of CNG for use in an internal combustion engine. The GMFRC should utilize a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) control algorithm to increase the flow rate control accuracy. The device should also be designed to be used in an automotive environment.
The full project summary can be found here.
Project Goals and Key DeliverablesThe key project goals and deliverables are as follows:
- Fully operational mass flow rate controller prototype for gaseous fuel (demonstrated with compressed air)
- Complete design documentation, including microcontroller codes
- Comprehensive system operating instruction manual
- Technical competitive analysis conducted with summarized results
- Documentation of failure modes identified, considered and mitigated
- Demonstration at Imagine RIT in May 2015
Customer Requirements (Needs)
The most up to date version of the customer requirements can be found here.
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
The most up to date version of the engineering requirements can be found here.
ConstraintsThe constraints that will limit the design of our device are:
- Usable in an automotive environment
- Simple assembly and installation
- Design for manufacturing
- Small and lightweight
- High durability
- Low cost
House of Quality
The most up to date version of the house of quality can be found here.