Team Vision for Detailed Design PhaseMoving on from the previous phase, we reached out to Maxon and cleared up any and all lose ends regarding the Maxon motor. We were able to get a clear answer on repeatability and more knowledge on the underlying motor technology they use. We planned to discusses the idea of spring loading the motor with topic specialists. We wanted to find alternative motor choices to the Maxon motor, along with explore the technical aspects of programming a GUI and researching the API for the Maxon motor and other candidates. Test planning was another priority we wanted to start during this phase.
Meetings with Topic Specialists
- A summary of our ongoing discussions with Maxon Motors representatives is available here
- A summary of our meeting with Prof. Ed Hanzlik from Nov. 20, 2015 is available here
- A summary of our meeting with Prof. Ferat Sahin and Stephen Boedo from Dec. 3, 2015 is available here
Drawings, Schematics, Flow Charts, SimulationsThe engineering requirements were updated in order to accommodate for crossplatform support, specifically Mac OS X.
Teknic ClearPath CPM-MCPV-2311S-ELN DC Motor- Motor controller, motor, and encoder all built into one
- 6,400 post-quad count encoder ~0.06 degrees of resolution
- Repeatability of +/- 0.03 degrees
- 4,000 RPM maximum
- Primarily interfaced via Arduino/Teensy
Maxon Motor (New Gearless Configuration)- Eliminated gearbox, so gear backlash is no longer a problem
- 5,000 pre-quad count encoder ~0.018 degrees of resolution
- Repeatability of +/- 0.0072 degrees
- 5,248 RPM maximum
- Uses the same Maxon EPOS2 24/5 motor controller as previous motor package did
- Maxon motor package spec sheet is available here
Propagation of Error Throughout SystemThe flowchart below details how error in the system will propagate from the motor (input) ultimately to the eye gaze direction (output). Quantitative values are TBD, as these numbers will depend on the choice of motor.
Bill of Materials (BOM)
|Mechanical Test Plans||Electrical Test Plans|
Design and Flowcharts
Design Review MaterialsLinks for:
- Detailed Design Review Presentation here
- Detailed Design Review Handout here