Preliminary Detailed Design
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Preliminary Detailed Design PhaseThe goal for this phase of our design is used to get feedback from our customer and guide on our pseudo code, schematics, mechanical enclosure, and the Engineering Requirements Test Plan. The feedback from this review will be used to revamp and change anything that was wrong or seen as a better fit for our design and end goals. Things to be changed might be:
- Component change on the schematic.
- More valuable testing procedures to validate the engineering requirements.
- More detailed procedures for testing.
- Mechanical enclosure suggestions.
Mechanical Enclosure AnalysisBelow are the mechanical slides presented at the preliminary detailed design review.
Safety features such as an emergency shut off button designed to instantly turn off the AC voltage when pressed, and a reed switch designed to instantly shut off power if the scatter shield or enclosure are opened while running were planned to be installed to keep operator safety as a high priority. These are shown below.
The Cooling calculations were done using Excel, taking into the account the worst case scenario of the maximum power and heat being displaced by the board.
From the cooling calculations and airflow analysis, it was seen that with 40 CFM fans on the intake side of the enclosure, exhaust fans on the enclosure and separate fans on the heat sinks related to the constant current and constant voltage of the load boards, enough cooling could be obtained for any scenario experienced with the boards.
At this point the SolidWorks 3D model of the enclosure was completed. This is shown below, with screen shots of the Aluminum enclosure at open and closed states.
Barrel Bolt locks, friction hinges and butterfly locks are planning on being used at this point to secure the scatter shield and aluminum enclosure from being opened physically as well as friction hinges to assist the operator in holding the scatter shield open at any point.
The slide below shows the aluminum enclosure and how it will mechanically open for troubleshooting and repair of the boards underneath. Piano hinges and supporting hinges will be used to make the opening of the top aluminum sheet easy and effortless.
Main Board, Load Board, and Relay Board Schematics
- Below are the schematics and printed circuit boards (PCBs) for our Load Board, Main Board, and Relay Board.
- Our Main Board acts the "controller board" for our circuitry. The Load Board contains a constant current and constant voltage design to maintain certain... and the Relay Board is to control and activate the...
- The following images are of a complex circuit of the Main Controller Board Schematic. To view the actual file, PCB Artist must be downloaded. This will allow a more detailed viewing. The file can be found and here.
- The following images are of a complex circuit of the Load Board Schematic. To view the actual file, PCB Artist must be downloaded. This will allow a more detailed viewing. The file can be found here.
- The following image is of a complex circuit of the Relay Board Schematic To view the actual file, PCB Artist must be downloaded. This will allow a more detailed viewing. The file can be found here.
Bill of Material (BOM)A copy of the Preliminary BOM can be found here.
Test PlansA PDF copy of the Engineering Requirements Test Plan can be found here.
PurposeThe purpose of this document is to properly test that the Engineering and Customer Requirements are met throughout building the system and to verify that upon completion the requirements have been met. This document will also serve as a reference to the customer for trouble shooting purposes as well as a guideline in the event another test fixture is to be made.
Inputs and SourceA downloadable copy of the Engineering Requirements Excel Sheet can be found here for better viewing.
Risk AssessmentA PDF copy of the Risk Assessment can be found here.
Design Review Materials
Include links to:
- Presentation and/or handouts
- Notes from review
- Action Items
(Use the individual 3-week plan template for this)