Build & Test Prep
Table of Contents
We spent the initial phase of MSD II ensuring we had a solid plan for the upcoming semester. Many of the tasks included verifying scheduling, lead times, and creating test plans. At the same time preliminary subsystem testing was started and more sponsors were searched for, one of which donated an old electric golf cart. A lot of labor time was also used to remove the old DC motor from the cart to serve as our unit-under-test.
MSD II Plan
Test Plan Summary
The general approach for our test plans is a subsystem-up
approach. Some of the major systems, such as the load
generator, require the safety and sensing subsystems to
already be in place. Diagnostic testing is done behind
the scenes and is not considered part of the
commissioning testing. The detailed test plans for the
major engineering requirements can be found at the
following link: note that some are "specified" and won't
need to be tested.
Budget/Ordering StatusAll materials have been ordered, unless they are delayed intentionally. We're holding off on some less essential pieces of the frame -- the plexiglass shielding, and aluminum shelving until we secure an additional funding source. The up to date budget summary is below, and the full bill of materials is available for reference as needed.
Design Change Summary
- Belt replaced with chain due to cost-prohibition on belts strong enough for usage.
- Tensioner is currently removed pending a fastener-only solution to tensioning the chain.
- Final BOM and drawings will be added once the unit-under-test specifications are finalized and parts are ordered.
- Dimensions adjusted based on actual received parts
- Layout changed to have the resistor mounted on the top of the structure for cooling considerations
Risk and Problem Tracking
- Budgetary Risks Linger - need to close the $200 gap
- Losing an expensive component
Updates Since Last Review
- New Customer Point of Contact: Jeff Botticello
- Golf Cart Donation