Integrated System Build & Test
Team Vision for Integrated System Build & Test Phase
During this phase, our team focused on completing our integrated system build so that we may quickly jump into small-scale testing. We also focused on replacing our faulty transmitter case with a much safer, and water-resistant option. By the end of this phase, we would like to be able to display accurate strain readings for our customer and begin to show our mastery of the project.
Test Results Summary
Test Plans Covered
- Telemetry System Test Plan: Tom, Specs Covered: 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14
- Cantilevered Beam Testing
Telemetry System Test Plan
- Specification 3 Waterproofed Connections
- Waterproofed connections was met with all connections having a higher than 6Mohm resistance so the multimeter could not even read a value.
- Specification 5 Frequency Range
- Frequency range was met with the product conformance documents confirming the system using the 2.45GHz Carrier Frequency Range
- Specification 6 Battery Life
- Battery Life Results Document
- For battery life the specification was marginal 8 hours and ideal 12 hours until 128Hz sampling rate for 4 Channels. Using ~565Hz/channel Battery life was 8.665 Hours. From this power to run the device besides sampling was derived and used to extrapolate that at 128Hz battery life would be 11.07Hours. This was done with full power data transmission/.
- This specification meets the marginal value but also shows we can meet the marginal value while gathering much more data than minimally required.
- Specification 7 Wireless Transmission Range
- Transmission Range Results Document
- Transmission Range Specification of the telemetry system had a marginal value of 10 meters and ideal of 100m. During initial tests under low tranmsission power an average range of 21.67m was achieved. Under full power transmission range an average range of 71.67m line of sight was achieved. Even under non line of sight tests the 10m value was met.
- The transmission range specification was met under all conditions from non line of sight low power to line of sight high power transmission range.
- Specification 8 Telemetry System Sampling Rate
- Sampling Rate Results Document
- Specification 8 was to test for how fast the system could sample each of 4 differential data channels at once. The Marginal value was 100Hz with 150Hz ideal. The device could sample at 128Hz using 12.51% of it's network bandwidth and 256Hz/channel using 25.02%, however at 512Hz a channel it would need 100.10% and received an error. This was in one type of sampling mode, in the continuous streaming mode sampling is done as fast as possible and was done at ~565Hz/channel. This shows we can well meet the ideal specification of 150Hz.
- This specification was well met at ~4 times the ideal rate. The continuous streaming mode that achieves this by not logging transmission power levels (in dB) like the synchronized sampling mode. This information is not needed for our testing.
- Specification 14 CSV File Size
- The point of this specification is two parts: To confirm data is saved as a CSV, and to see if the file size for a 5Mb for a 20 minute test at 128Hz.
- File Size Results Document
- Initial Testing of this was done using the continuous streaming mode at ~565Hz per channel. In this mode all tests were saves as a CSV file meeting that portion of the specification. But, the file size was 13.72Mb average not meeting that portion of the specification.
- The size is less important because it is not stored internally on the device but on the computer, this is an item that cannot be changed without lowering the sample rate which is the more important part of the specification so it will left as is. The file size for continuous was about 45Mb.
Cantilever Beam Test
Telemetry Software StatusThe software was made and provided to us by Lord Microstrain as part of the Telemetry System we Purchased. At this point the software has been used to gather strain data and for testing and is working well. Also, all team members have been taught how to use it.
Lab Assembly Plan and Status
Bill of Materials
- Total $5000
- Spent $2950.50
- Remaining $2049.50
- Revised Transmitter Case Design
- Sensor Cable Extensions for Longer Shaft Lengths
- Strain Gauges