Table of Contents
Project SummaryAs oil and gasoline prices continue to rise, along with their environmental concerns, the discovery of natural gas sources in the United States creates the opportunity to utilize natural gas as an alternative for transportation fuel. This project relates to the means for delivering a precise portion of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) for use in an internal combustion engine through the use of a mass flow rate controller. A current design, developed by Alphacon LLC, can regulate mass flow rate by manual operation. It is our goal to analyze and improve on the current device by implementing a means of control in order to increase the flow rate accuracy.
The primary objective of this project is to improve the design of the Gaseous Mass Flow Rate Controller (GMFRC) that can deliver a precise amount of CNG for use in an internal combustion engine. The GMFRC should utilize a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) control algorithm to increase the flow rate control accuracy. The device should also be designed to be used in an automotive environment.
Click here for link to the most up to date 1-Page Summary.
Project Goals and Key DeliverablesThe key project goals and deliverables are as follows:
- Fully operational mass flow rate controller prototype for gaseous fuel (demonstrated with compressed air)
- Complete design documentation, including microcontroller codes
- Comprehensive system operating instruction manual
- Technical competitive analysis conducted with summarized results
- Documentation of failure modes identified, considered and mitigated
- Demonstration at Imagine RIT in May 2016
Customer Requirements (Needs)
Click here for link to the most up to date Customer Requirements.
Engineering Requirements (Metrics and Specifications)
Click here for link to the most up to date Engineering Requirements.
ConstraintsThe constraints that will limit the design of our device are:
- Usable in an automotive environment
- Simple assembly and installation
- Small and lightweight
- High durability
- Low cost
House of Quality
Click here for link to the most up to date House of Quality document.
Design Review MaterialsLinks for/from the design review:
Click here for the link to the Problem Definition Review presentation.
Next Phase Plans
- Talk with Professor Hanzlik about P15318
- Meet with fluids professor to discuss flow modeling and CFD
- Meet with Professor Fuller and Monteiro about PID controller
- Create project flow diagram
- Learn CFD techniques
Long Term Plans
- Evaluate other flow controllers
- Meet with professors that have knowledge on the subjects
- Begin design on valve that will fulfill engineering requirements
- Design validation testing
- Research closed-loop PID control
- Start designing circuitry for microcontroller
- Start testing
- Fine tune programming controller
- Fabricate mechanical components
- More testing
- Imagine RIT