P16420 has begun extensive testing on water boiler
and pouring trays by making prototypes. The team has
also began to collect data to further prove their
Team Vision for Detailed Design Phase
- Prototype, test, and collect data to finalize
material selection and geometric dimensions of pour trays
Prototyping & Testing
Pour Tray: Tubes
- Pour Tray for the lip balm tubes has pleasantly
expected our expectations in every ways.
- Identical result can be expected from full scale tray
[10X10] as the cooling time is > 15 minutes.
Pour Tray:Tube - Detailed Part Drawing
Pour Tray: Tins
- 3D-prototyped pour tray models only last 1 round of
testing as the PLA material will heat up and deform.
- UHMW-PE prototypes look promising.
- Pour Tray for the hand salve tins work, but small
modifications cmay be made (hole size, thickness, etc...)
to make it work better.
- This is mainly to control the flow the material
through the tray into the tins.
- Pouring directly into the hole won't allow the air
bubble to escape (2nd Run - Prototype B). Must let the
molten wax enter slowly.
- Additional methods to treat the surface finish of the
product are on the way.
Bill of Materials (BOM)
System Bill of Materials
Risk Management: Week 15
Summary of Testing
After the modifications to the water boiler, it seems
to be operating within the parameters needed, but
further testing needs to be completed. The prototype
for the lip balm pouring tray was extremely
successful at filling tubes to desired level, and
with the finish required by the customer. Lastly, the
tin pouring prototypes provided information that the
concept is sound, but the surface finish will need an
additional process to achieve the customer's
approval. The team will continue testing methods to
improve this finish in MSD II.
Design Review Materials
Plans for next phase
Home | Planning &
Problem Definition |
Systems Design | Subsystem Design | Preliminary
Detailed Design | Detailed Design
Build & Test
Prep | Subsystem Build
& Test | Integrated
System Build & Test |
Integrated System Build & Test with Customer Demo
Customer Handoff & Final Project Documentation