Table of Contents
Team Vision for Problem Definition PhaseDuring this first phase of the entire design process, the teams goal was fairly straightforward: to get a comfortable grasp on what the project should accomplish when we are done with it. This required a significant amount of research into the composting process itself as well as into some of the practicality of the requirements that the client gave us. Our team used this phase as an opportunity to build a solid foundation of goals and requirements which has allowed us to really understand how we will be able to help our client in the best and most efficient way possible. The more beneficial tasks that completed were the interview with the client which really allowed us to pick her brain in order to clarify some major concerns that we had as a team. Using the information obtained in the interview we were then able to create specific engineering specifications and visualize how they satisfied the customer requirements through the house of quality.
The one page sumary can be found here.
Interview With CustomerThe interview with JJ and Jan can be found here.
Use Casesreturn to top
Project Goals and Key DeliverablesRochester Roots can expect to receive the following:
- A working prototype composter
- A complete and appropriate use and repair manual that is usable by the desired age group
- A detailed drawing and schematic package
Customer Requirements (Needs)here
- Total cost < $3500
- Fits under standard kitchen counter
- Minimizes lifting required by user
- Usable by grade school aged children
- Moves under its own power
- Cannot use combustibles for power
- Handles standard ADA wheelchair ramps
House of Qualityreturn to top
Design Review Materials
- Pre-read: The project readiness package supplied to us as the definition of our project and customer requirements.
- Presentation slides: The problem definition slides.
Plans for next phase
- Complete all research by 9/15
- Map composting process
- Visit Jan's class
- Determine system and subsystem priorities
- Finalize end-state deliverables
- Complete Risk Analysis