Subsystem Level Design AnnouncementsThe team chose to highlight the major decision updates, design changes, technical advancements, and research progression for the subsystem design review.
During week 6-9 of the project, the team was faced with the difficult decision of narrowing down a time frame to influence the overall reconstructive design of the press. Thankfully, our research within both literature and visiting existing presses was able to aid in the decision.
Another big announcement to report is the addition of the newest member to the team: Daniel Krull, a Museum Studies and Fine Art Major at Rochester Institute of Technology. He will be assisting the team with research to ensure historical accuracy of all design components, as well as conducting social media outreach.
Subsystem-Level Design Phase GoalsGoals:
- Determine time period for design
- Solidify design decisions
- Finalize parts lists
- Model parts in CREO
- Determine which parts will be outsourced
- Identify and contact subject matter experts
- Collect more benchmarking data from existing presses
- Find Museum Studies Major to join team
Time Period Design DecisionOur design will focus on reconstructing designs consistent with presses from 1770- 1790.
- Scholarship hasn’t focused the period post-1750
- Presses were used during the American revolution to spread information
- Very few presses from the period survive in North America
- We have the Roy Press as a basis for confirming historical accuracy
- The specific dimensions of the press will differ from any one surviving press, such that it will not be a replica
- 1x6x1 cramp irons, 2 rails
- No guide boards
- Non-adjustable catch of the bar
- Clamped girts on plank
- Packing in cheeks for head and winter
Feasibility: Prototyping, Analysis, Simulation
Price of Cheeks
Deflection of Carriage During PrintingThe Printing office of Edes & Gill allowed us to use their press to make a print. A couple observations were made:
- Noticeable amount of flex in the carriage
- Possible reinforcements needed
- The winter appeared to remain rigid
- Paper packing below winter will not affect print quality
- All components must be capable of withstanding the load
Drawings, Schematics, Flow Charts, etc.
Preliminary Labor Sourcing
- The working risk register document: Risk register