P16603: Glass Cutting Machine: Work Piece Movement/public/
Integrated System Build & Test
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Phase 3
What Did We Plan to Accomplish?
- Finalize Linear Actuator and Motor
- Finalize Gear Reducer
- Finalize material selection for dovetail and mounting plate
- Finalize drawings for locking mechanism
- Complete sub-BOM for frame and order material
- Assemble cart and claim a build location
- Update assembly plans
- Update test plans
- Work towards an integration design
What Did We Actually Accomplish?
- Received cart and set-up in machine shop
- Updated test plans
- Received dovetail and mounting plate from customer
- To be used in design - no further material selection needed!
- Updated drawings and feasibility analysis for locking mechanism
- Completed sub-BOM for main fixture frame components
- Generated two separate integration design concepts
- Concept 1: Pneumatic Counter Balance
- Concept 2: Lead Screw Actuation
Where Are We Now?
- Comparing integrated design concepts
- Adding detail to BOMs of both design concepts
- Iterating on proposals with machine shop to work towards concept convergence
- Mounting Plate and Dovetail Complete!
- Can be modified easily if the opportunity presents itself later
- Generating Use Case scenarios and control loop descriptions
- Contacting suppliers for general application advice
- Primarily for guide rail/linear bearing design
What Do We Seek Today?
- Conceptual Approval of Integrated Design
- Will need to choose between/compare design
System Integrated Designs
Design 1: Pneumatic Counterbalance
- Control system for pneumatics working with electric cylinder
Design 2: Lead Screws
- Lead Screw Diameter vs. Space Available
- Motor Speed Capabilities
Use Case/Control Loop(currently in generation)
Design Comparison Matrix
To view our Process Maps in finer detail, click here.
Problem Trackingclick here.
Week 11: Expectations
- Completed system level drawings
- Designed to interface with P16601/2's system level designs
- Acquire approval of system level drawings from
- Ed, guides, machine shop, and Glass Fab
- Complete BOM for system level design
- All line items completed
- Should be "awaiting Glass Fab approval" on/before Week 11 review
Task List/Plans for Next Phase
- Choose one of the two conceptual design options
- Finalize drawings for components of selected design
- Choose materials and contact vendors to ensure part sizes will work
- Continuously work with Ed/guides/machine shop prior to asking for Glass Fab's approval
- Work with 16601/2 to implement our CAD models into
- Generate a full system CAD model that include all three system level designs
Week 11: What Will We Seek?
- Design/purchase approval of system level drawings
Questions and Closing Comments
- What is the optimal work piece loading height for Ray? (How high above the cutting plane?)