Subsystem Build & Test
Table of Contents
Status of Fabrication
- Conduit fittings that were purchased are not correct size. Resourced correct size. Will try to return old ones.
- After testing, realized amount of membrane was not enough so ordered more.
- Decided to perform additional subsystem testing which required sourcing and purchasing of extra materials.
- 91% of materials have been ordered and received
- 3% of materials have been ordered, not yet received
- 6% of materials are in the process of being ordered (complete by start of week 6)
- Total expected cost ~$960 which exceeded estimates due to last minute test plans and modifications to design after DDR
- Still well under budget ($2000)
Parts are still being manufactured and tested, therefore, assembly process has not begun.
We have decided to utilize Google Sheets for tracking of our test plans. This allows the document to be up-to-date at all times. Click here to view our Test Plans.
- 25% of test plans completed
- 30% of test plans in progress
- 45% of test plans waiting on full assembly
Risk / Problem Analysis & Tracking
Since our last review was only a week ago, we have not updated the file. You can refer to last phase's risk management here.
Current Action Plans In Progress
- Waterproofing Risk - Tested membrane on its own and found we will need 2 layers to prevent moisture from leaking through. Now need to test on fake battery box assembly with fake vents and fans. Will do next week.
- Manufacturing Risk - Almost all machining is complete. Only thing left in shop is drilling and tapping holes which we are all capable of doing. Only thing left to make is some test rigs which will be made with tape and scissors (our fake battery box).
- Failure of Cooling Risk - Tested controller heat sink and found it can dissipate heat as expected. Will be testing battery subsystem with halogen bulbs next week to verify heat dissipation for battery box.
- Member Drops Out - We have spent a lot of time updating each other on progress and communicate frequently and effectively. If someone were to drop out at this point, the effect would be minuscule. We would simply have to rearrange tasks.
Team using Google Sheets for problem management tracking.
Project Plan & Budget
Project TimelineView full project plan here.
Progress TrackingTeam using Google Sheets to track task progress.
Goals for Week 6
- All ordering
- Controller heat sink pieces
- Test plans - S9
- Rough draft for all sections of paper
Goals for Week 7
- Rig for battery box temperature testing (with bulbs)
- Assembly of controller heat sink
- Test plans - S3, S4, S6, S7, S8, S15
- Layout for poster
During this cycle, we learned the importance of having backup plans for all aspects of the project at the beginning. We did not anticipate the batteries taking so long to arrive to campus, which significantly pushed back our testing timeline. In order to ensure that our design would meet its expectations, we decided to create a test rig that would produce heat in place of the actual batteries. This last minute test plan has cost us over $200 and could have been better planned in the beginning to save material or find other ways to reduce costs. Additionally, we started to track our tasks in a spreadsheet so we could just come in and start working right away. This has improved our efficiency and allows us to quickly see what is holding up what other aspects of the project. We learned the importance of time management which will come in handy moving forward as we will have to increase our workload to accomplish all of our goals.