Subsystem Build & Test
Table of Contents
The past few weeks have been dedicated to the purchasing of materials for the final build as well as initial steps to assembling the design. Some progress has been made in both the electrical and mechanical subsystems, but the team has encountered some scheduling blocks placing us off track from the original plan. The hope is that the team will catch up in the coming weeks, but buffer time was built in to account for this possibility.
Team Vision for Subsystem Level Build & Test Phase
- Approve budget with customer and purchase all necessary materials for final build
- Begin initial assembly
- This can be broken down into subsystems (Electrical and Structural) and then fully assembled in later phases
- Begin testing the subsystems
- Budget has been approved at $3500 and all further requests will need to be individually approved. The hope is that the team will not exceed this limit
- All parts have been purchased and have either arrived or are in transit
- Some initial subsystem build has begun
Test Results Summary
The build has not progressed far enough to begin initial subsystem testing. The test plan remains as is.
As testing begins the Test Plan Document will be updated accordingly and will be located in the correlated phase in which it has been completed.
The structure will be assembled with the help of Rob in the machine shop. The team set up a meeting to discuss the structure and adjusted the design based on constructive feedback. The final CAD structure is shown below.
Welding of the structure began on Tuesday October 4, 2017. The base of the structure and top were completed within a couple hours with the help of the Brinkman Lab and Machine shop. The supports will be welding on Thursday October 6, 2017 before the first demo.
The electrical subsystems were being assembled simultaneous to the structure. The enclosure and all components are shown below. Additional work will be complete before the demo and that information will be logged after that day.