Team Vision for System-Level Design PhaseDuring the Systems Design Phase (Phase 2 of MSD I) Team Smartie Flies strove to:
- Decompose system and analyze core functionalities.
- Generate initial concepts for core functionalities and system-level designs.
- Evaluate feasibility through analytical, experimental, and benchmarking activities.
- Refine concepts.
By the conclusion of Phase 2, Team Smartie Flies was able to:
- Accomplish all goals outlined above, and publish results in the pictures, charts, spreadsheets, and analyses below.
- Refine understanding of the project and narrow scope of possible solutions.
- Update risk assessment with relevant or new potential problems.
BenchmarkingBelow are two images of systems with different system functions that were used for benchmarking in this stage of the design.
1. The first one is a six gallon BSF composter designed by Black Soldier Fly Forum. Their website is http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492&f=16
2. The second system is the new BioPod plus from http://www.thebiopod.com/pages/biopod-plus.html
Below is a screenshot of Benchmarking using our system functions:
Link to our Benchmarking Functions document.
This Benchmarking is different from our previous activities because it uses our specific system functions instead of process conditions.
Two new concept options that could exceed the aboved benchmark concepts.
Feasibility: Prototyping, Analysis, Simulation
PrototypingQuestion: How can we develop a composting system that can utilize space and maximize surface area?
Approach: Design a optimal unit prototype and then develop an ability to stack units to maximize surface area.
- There are financial resources available to produce multiple units.
- There are enough larvae for a multi-unit system.
- There is a good breeding pattern for the flies to produce enough eggs.
Prototype: Below is a prototype for a system with units that can be stacked. The drawing of the unit itself is not the final unit system that was selected for the morphological analysis and the Pugh analysis.
Link to a Feasibility Test Plan.
Link to more Feasibility Questions.
Morphological Chart and Concept SelectionLink to our Morphological Table.
Link to our Concept Screening Matrix.
Concept ImprovementAfter a discussing the three potential designs with the customer a few comments were made and alternate design suggestions were brought to discussion.
1. Feasibility of removing or pushing 1 meter squared tray or drawer.
2. Find a potential way to view the amount of digestate in the container.
3. Potential to scale-down if the budget is not approved.
4. Addition of a potential sweeper system.
5. Possibility of removing leachate after removing digestate.
Designs and Flowcharts
Risk AssessmentLink to our Risk Management Table.
Plans for next phase
- As a team, we have the following plan: Phase 2 Gantt Chart
- Taylor Hogan's Three Week Plan
- Ryan Hochreiter's Three Week Plan
- Erinne Munie's Three Week Plan
- Anton Krull's Three Week Plan