Subsystem Build & Test
Table of Contents
February 7th - February 23rd, 2017
Team Vision for Subsystem Level Build & Test PhaseFor this phase we plan to have ordered our safety relief valve and our pressure regulator. We also plan to place our MSC, McMaster and 8020 orders so we can begin to test and build. All our parts should be ordered with a possible exception of our isolation pad. We also plan to have completed all our machined parts. We plan to have started working with the DAQ and Signal Express to figure out how to run our solenoid valves. We plan to do a computer-generated input test as well as a depressurized test of opening and closing the valves. As our parts arrive, we plan to begin our subsystem level assembly.
So far, we have figured out how to control the solenoid valves using the hardware and software. We have successfully completed a solenoid relay test using both the function generator and the Signal Express and DAQ. We also pressurized our discharge tank to 90psi as a test. The L brackets were machined to mount the solenoid valves. Our solenoid coil wiring diagram was updated and we created a youtube channel to display our progress videos of testing. We received orders from 8020 and MSC Direct and updated problem tracking. We assembled the 8020 frame with the discharge tank and are working on stability issues. We made progress machining our three major components (via CNC). We tightened our plugs and hose fittings in the discharge tank with Teflon tape.
Test Results Summary
Many of the testing procedures put in place require the use of our poppet valve manifold assembly. We are waiting on the studs that bolt it together, so some of the tests could not be started. We have performed a few of the testing procedures that we were able to do.
Risk and Problem Trackinghere. here.
Functional Demo Materials
A YouTube channel used to display additional testing can be found here.
Generator Solenoid Tests
- A preliminary test to try to actuate a solenoid valve using a solid state relay.
Digital Relay Control
- A test showing that we could activate the solid state relays by manually sending a high digital signal to the relay.
Delay Fix For 500 ms Activation
- When the SignalExpress program loops back to the top to begin a new cycle, there is a delay present. This was measured using a 60 frames per second camera when activating each solenoid for 500 ms one after the other.
Delay Fix For 1000 ms Activation
- The delay mentioned above was also measured when activating each solenoid for 1000 ms one after the other. This was done to be sure that the delay was consistent and not dependent on steps in the program loop.
Relay Control Test and Buzzing Fix
- The dual, automated actuation of our solenoid valves was tested. One of the solenoid valves buzzed while not being actuated. This was fixed by switching that solenoid valve to the other relay, and it now only buzzes while being actuated.
Weekly progress reports between February 7th and February 23rd can be found here.
Plans for next phase
The primary goal for next phase is to complete the test procedures developed during the design phases of the project. This includes tests to validate the mathematical model of airflow through the system, verify the construction of the poppet valve assembly, and determine how to use the control and data acquisition system using SignalExpress. Additionally, we plan to continuously develop the mounting assembly in order to fit everything in a compact space on the 8020 frame.