Preliminary Detailed Design
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Preliminary Detailed Design PhaseDuring this phase, the team plan is to meet with our customer to get further clarification on the design of the solar crop dryer. With a confirmed direction, sketches and a designed model are created based on collection of information from cutting up bananas. With the preliminary dimensions, and selected mass of bananas, the initial parameters are set into the MatLab model. Drying potential is recorded from different sets of parameters, and if time allows a design of experiments will be used to find ideal parameters given the selected dimensions. A CAD model of the collector, dryer, and chimney will be created to illustrate all subsystems together.
Prototyping, Engineering Analysis, Simulation
The first plot shows the first day drying predictions for the proposed dryer design. The simulation of the second day was run using the moisture content of each tray (at the final day time step) as the starting moisture content for the second day.
Drawings, Schematics, Flow Charts, Simulations
Bill of Material (BOM)
The materials included in this table are for materials purchased in the United States. Research is in the process for material acquisition costs in Haiti.
- Assemble 2 packs of trays for preliminary tests
- Enclose trays and dry with heated air supply (to mimic collector)
- Will test as one third; of drying chamber
- Continue to work on Matlab simulations to refine model parameters.
The following risk was revisited from the Problem Definition Phase, and importance value was increased.
- The working Risk Management document can be found here: Risk Management
Design Review MaterialsInclude links to:
Plans for next phaseComplete Gantt Chart
Group 3 week Plan:
- Continue to work on Matlab model
- Indoor tray testing, possibly using hair dryer
- Put heated chimney into the MatLab model
- Add upcoming and past activities to the final Gantt Chart
- Determine material requirements, cost, and where materials will be purchased
- Verify availability of materials with subject matter experts
- Price out the materials for the dimensions agreed upon after the PDDR (mesh, wood, rebar.)
- Update Gantt Chart with progress and future plans.
- Order Mesh, and research into banana acquisition.
- Increase the Detail of the CAD model
- Assemble the Collector, Dryer, and Chimney in the model
- Reiterate through CAD design based on the outcomes of the MatLab results
- Bring in materials that are already accessible to store in our locker
- Finalize the type of wood that dryer will be built out of
- Confirm with Sarah that the pricing of these materials are affordable for farmers