Subsystem Build & Test
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Subsystem Level Build & Test PhaseIn this phase we:
- Finished one iteration of our DOE
- Finished up our manufacturing device
- Finalized our attachment method
- Started working on our foam mold
Initially there were plans of making a clay model of the tile but it did not go as planned and other things took precedent, so for now we are not going to make the clay tile.
Test Results SummaryThe picture below shows the results from our concrete testing so far.
Going forward we will be using the incoming data to gather further information.
Manufacturing device mock up image. From bottom up: black base is the tire vibration table we have been using, gray base is aluminum plate to keep things flat, thin black layer is rubber/foam material to allow some give, blue piece is flexible plastic "slide" for concrete to move onto mold form, orange piece is clamp used to keep top in place when down, top gray piece is the frame to shape the tiles (can be swapped for the peak tile or main tile), two gray pieces on top flip down to create holes in the tile for attachment method.
Top image shows frame without hole makers down, bottom image shows hole makers flipped down to create holes in the tile.
MDF wood base shown with holes for attachment to vibration table. Slide with foam glued to underside shown flipped back for access to attachment holes.
Attachment MethodFeedback from Nicaragua - the Attachment Method
- Twisted wire design too complicated for unskilled workers and volunteers
- Maintaining wire in Nicaraguan environment too difficult - Heat, Humidity, Rain, Wind on weight bearing wire
- New proposal does not use twisted wire method
The adjustments made on the attachment system prompted us to change the batten spacing as well, as shown in the following picture.
Foam MoldA mold is to be used in conjunction with the manufacturing device as discussed in the last few phases of MSD I. From our discussions with multiple people concerning the mold, we decided to go with a mold made out of insulation foam. We used the CNC Router at The Construct to cut multiple pieces of the mold shape, then stick them together to form the final mold.
We had a few extra pieces for the mold so we decided that while the actual mold is being put together, we made a mini-mold and tried making a small tile using the manufacturing device and the mini-mold, as shown below.
Risk TrackingWe updated the risk table for this phase, as shown:
BudgetThe following picture shows our budget. We have spent about half of our budget. In terms of upcoming expenses we need to make replications of the molds so multiple tiles can be made at once. Additionally we will need to buy more mixing ingredients at some point.
Project Timeline for the next 3 weeksHighlight of task for the next phase
- Complete DOE
- Work on attachment method
- Continue mix testing
- Decided on final mix
- Start tile testing with new mold and manufacturing device
- Start final paper
- Submit Imagine RIT proposal