Team Vision for System-Level Design Phase
- During this phase our team continued to research and understand different types of options available for roofs primarily focused on the material options and roof system designs.
- The team completed all deliverables including the functional decomposition, feasibility analysis, and morphological chart.
- During this time, it has also been decided that the roof will be designed using of biochar and concrete materials. The team has narrowed the design of the roof to be either a one-sided sloped roof that will be made by pouring the concrete directly onto the house, or a pitch style roof that will made using concrete tiles.
Here is the functional decomposition. Below is a list of engineering requirements, added is a column that links the engineering requirements to the functional decomposition. This is added to show the engineering requirements are always being considered as the design process evolves.
Benchmarking was done to compare the different types of structures and materials that roofs can be made out of.
The team also did benchmarking for concrete mixes. The mixes considered were standard concrete mix, last year's concrete mix which was biochar and plastic bottles added, and the concrete mix of biochar and plastic bottles that will be made this year.
Concept DevelopmentThe team conducted a brainstorming session and produced ideas and concepts that everyone could think of:
Here are the brainstorm ideas sketched out:
We then decided on a few that were worth looking further into and eliminated the rest.
We then came up with a few possible roof designs that best match our needs.
Feasibility: Prototyping, Analysis, Simulation
Feasibility analysis was done on the different material choices available to make roofing out of. Note not all materials are available in Nicaragua.
A rough estimates was done to give an idea, of how long a typical roof would take to build in Nicaragua.
Testing and Budget
Feasibility analysis on the how the testing will be done using a limited budget.
Once a design has been selected, this could be a process used to determine how long manufacturing time would take.
Morphological Chart and Concept Selection
Morphological Chart based on functions.
Morphological Chart based on subsystems of the roof.
Selection CriteriaA few of the ideas were then chosen as possible design concepts to be considered. The selection criteria were:
- Keeps rain out
- Easy to make strong
- Easy to install
- Easy to maintain
- No rot
- Materials used are locally available
- Easily transportable
- Can be tested in two semesters
- Lasts more than 5 years
- Environmentally friendly
Pugh ChartsOnce the ideas were developed, a couple of Pugh charts were created with different datums to consider the different possible concepts.
Design Review Materials
System Design Presentation presented on 3rd October 2016.