Team Vision for Detailed Design PhaseThe main goal of Phase 4 was to finalize all documentation, analysis, simulation, and proof of concept for our device. Due to the design of our device and the time constraints on MSD, some of the original customer requirements had to be altered. This completed phase is comprised of all design considerations and is ready to be reviewed for final implementation.
- Mid-Phase Progress Report
- Complete Design output
- All Design Documentation on EDGE
- MSD II Project Plan Draft
- Updated ERs & CRs
- Updated Risk Assessment
- Updated Test Plans
- Ready to order long-lead items
- ME & EE Drawings, schematics, simulations
- Testing done and to be done
- SME Forms and Approval
- Design Corrections
- 3D Printed Parts for Housing
- Lessons Learned
- MSD I Self-Critique
- Program Flow & Overview
Click here to view the Mid-Phase Progress Report.
Click here to view the Updated Mid-Phase Progress Report as of 12/6/16.
Click here to download the force calculations PDF.
Click here to download the Deflection Analysis spreadsheet.
Natural Frequency Analysis
Toolholder Adapter & Acceptor
Click here to download the toolholder adapter inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder adapter inventor part file without the bolt holes used in the ansys models.
Click here to download the toolholder inventor assembly file.
Click here to download the toolholder nut inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder backstop inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder retaining ring inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder body inventor part file.
Click here to download the Tool Acceptor inventor acceptor file.
Click here to download the toolholder adapter print.
Click here to download the Measurement structure inventor part file.
Click here to download the Measurement Legs print.
Strain Gauge Placement
Click here to download one portion of the housing.
Click here to download the other portion of the housing.
Click here to download the housing assembly.
Click here to download the full assembly inventor file.
500N at 18 degrees
500N at 18 degrees
500N at 18 degrees
Electrical System Overview
Click here to download the Electronics overview pdf file.
Wheatstone Bridge Circuit
Click here to download the wheatstone bridge circuit pdf file.
Analysis and Design
Click here to download the amplifier circuit pdf file.
- A 30mVpp signal was simulated into the amplifier circuit using PSPICE simulation software. The output and input signal is shown below:
- A ~30mVpp signal was generated by dividing a 3Vpp sinusoidal signal using a resistor divider network (820 ohms and 82k ohms) to obtain a ~30mVpp signal.
- Captures of the test environment and output of the amplifier are shown below:
- Because we do not have noise data, and therefore do not know what frequencies to filter, we are not currently designing a hardware based filter as previously planned.
- A software filter in Labview will be used instead for the time being.
- This may change based on empirical data retrieved during testing.
Click here to download the microcontroller program flow pdf file.
- The UART Bit Rate Calculations from the Systems Design Review still hold.
Sample Rate Timer Calculations
Click here to download the communication scheme pdf file.
Program CodeThe Code Composer Archive File containing C code for the program outlined above is located at here.
TestingThe capture below shows the program functioning under a test environment. The RN-42 was connected to the MSP430 launchpad device and was successfully able to wirelessly transmit sampled data to a computer.
A packet data loss test was also done to see if data is not being lost during transmission. This was done by sending sequential numbers at the prescribed sampling time from the MSP430.
Click here to download the wiring diagram pdf file.
Power Consumption Study
Bill of Material (BOM)
Click here to download the Test Plan pdf file.
Click here to download the Risk Assessment in xlsx format.
Risk Score vs Time
Click here to download the Risk Score vs Time document in pdf format.
- We are a little bit off track in terms of risk management due to not having the toolholder and tooling in possession.
- Should be back on track at start of MSD II.
Action List Items and Meeting NotesMeetings with Dr. Liu
Meetings with Dr. KempskiMeeting Notes
Meetings with Professor Slack
Plans for next phaseClick here to view the MSD I Project Plan.
Click here to view the MSD II Project Plan.
Three Week Plans
Each team member has developed an individual plan for the first three weeks of MSD II. This will help ensure that important tasks are completed and that all milestones are reached on time for the Detailed Design Review.