Preliminary Detailed Design
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Preliminary Detailed Design PhaseThe main goal of Phase 3 was to select specific components to commit to our design and go through preliminary testing. Many of the physical components meant for the final build of the device were purchased, circuit schematics and analysis were carried out, and CAD designs were made for all mechanical parts being manufactured in house. This phase sets the ground work for the final design.
- Phase Appropriate Feasibility
- Component Selection and Purchasing
- Engineering Analysis
- Drawings of Mechanical Equipment
- Circuit schematics and theoretical calculations
- Continual Risk Assessment
- Expanding on Test Plans
- Conversed with Subject Matter Experts
- More customer contact
- Update and continue previous work: Systems Architecture, WBS, Engineering Requirement Values
- Full Bill of Materials
- Peer Review Outlines from last phase
- Gained access to Dr. Liu's lab for workspace
Electrical System Overview
Click here to download the Electronics overview pdf file.
Wheatstone Bridge Circuit
Click here to download the wheatstone bridge circuit pdf file.
Click here to download the amplifier circuit pdf file.
- Because we do not have noise data, and therefore do not know what frequencies to filter, we are not designing a hardware based filter as previously planned.
- A software filter in Labview will be used instead for the time being.
- Risk management has been updated to include the
following design risks:
- Low frequency noise interfering with force data measurement.
Click here to download the microcontroller program flow pdf file.
- The UART Bit Rate Calculations from the Systems Design Review still hold.
Sample Rate Timer Calculations
Click here to download the communication scheme pdf file.
Click here to download the wiring diagram pdf file.
Power Consumption Study
Click here to download the force calculations PDF.
Click here to download the Deflection Analysis spreadsheet.
Toolholder Adapter & Acceptor
Click here to download the toolholder adapter inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder inventor assembly file.
Click here to download the toolholder nut inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder backstop inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder retaining ring inventor part file.
Click here to download the toolholder body inventor part file.
Click here to download the Tool Acceptor inventor acceptor file.
Click here to download the toolholder adapter print.
Click here to download the Measurement Legs solid works part file.
Click here to download the Measurement Legs part STEP file.
Click here to download the Measurement Legs solid works drawing file.
Click here to download the full assembly inventor file.
Bill of Material (BOM)
Click here to download the Preliminary Test Plan pdf file.
- Our current top risks are as follows:
Click here to download the risk assessment pdf file.
Click here to download the risk assessment excel worksheet.
Peer Evaluation Feedback
|Joe||Interface with Dr. Liu appropriately to keep him in the loop. Make hard deadlines/due dates for deliverables and team meetings.||More meetings and emails with Dr. Liu. Assigned tasks ownership and deadlines after each meeting.|
|Zac||Keep things focused. Contribute more to technical side of ME.||Keeps team on track during meetings. Extended help and more hours to Elbert and Brian.|
|Muhammad||Less research during meetings – big improvement from last phase.||More prepared to discuss on-topic items with the team during meetings.|
|Elbert||Brings up off-topic items during meetings and discussions often – less frequent.||Team members help catch him when on tangents, leads back to discussion.|
|Brian||Upload documents to team’s drive and EDGE by due dates.||Has been having more things up on the drive and EDGE when required – making good progress.|
- All team members need to stay focused during meetings and not get side-tracked.
- Work has fully separated into ME and EE side of the project. Harder to keep track of every task that is going on.
- Uploading documents to EDGE as soon as they are finished has helped lighten the load.
- Clearly communicating ideas and notifying team members of updates is becoming a regular practice.
Action List Items and Meeting Notes10-21 Action List
Plans for next phase
Download the latest version of the WBS in .mpp format here.
Three Week Plans
Each team member has developed an individual plan for the next three weeks of the Detailed Design. This will help ensure that important tasks are completed and that all milestones are reached on time for the Detailed Design Review.
Design Review FeedbackThis section documents the feedback and resulting action items from our third Design Review.
|Disconnect between customer and team about deflection analysis.||Will meet with Dr. Liu to ensure both parties are on the same page.|
|Need to ensure strain gauges will be able to measure full range of strains.||Will continue to investigate methods to validate this.|
|Should have contingencies in place if electronic components fail. Ordering backups of major components might be helpful.||Will look into purchasing more components based off of importance.|
|A chart of requirements and how they are validated would be helpful.||Will be added to engineering requirements document.|
|Engineering drawings need more detail (tolerances, material, changeblock).||Will complete this in next phase.|
|Need better documentation on how the electronic components will be mounted.||Will detail this in next phase.|
|Need to fill out Subject Matter Expert (SME) forms.||Will do this in next phase.|
|Need validation testing.||Will detail this in next phase.|