Subsystem Build & Test
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Subsystem Level Build & Test Phase
At the beginning of this phase for this project, the team planned to make various prototypes, refine thermal tests, purchase materials and to test the prototypes for thermal properties.
During this phase.the team accomplished most of their goals. The team purchased materials for different tests as well as for ImagineRIT. An initial business model was developed for our customer at ABVI. Burn tests were performed on different prototypes with various levels of boric acid solution. An initial R value test was performed on prototype one. Research was done to find the most effective bonding agent and to find the most efficient production method for our team.
Test Setup Design
- Using the shown setup, both the team’s prototype and competitor's product will go in the individual chambers.
- A humidifier will pump in humid air.
- The moisture content in the chambers will collected using humidity sensors.
- With both products side-by-side, a visual difference will also be able to be seen.
Sound Transmission Test
Our Sound Transmission test has changed from the initial design that was developed in MSD I. The description of the steps are as follows:
- Create the box of insulation out of 5 acoustic panels, leave the front open
- Place the speaker in it and with the decibel meter outside the box, play a distinct frequency to get a control value
- Cover the opening of the box with the prototype insulation
- Play the same frequency, make sure the microphone is
the same physical distance from the speaker
- The difference between the two decibel levels is the “Decibel Drop” d
- Use the formula C = 1 - 10^(-(d/20)) to find the sound reduction coefficient D = SL1 - SL2
Repeat at different frequencies
Test Results Summary
R Value Test
Table of raw data and calculated R-Value results. Note, the R-Value seen in this table does not reflect the true R-Value, as the test setup has not yet been calibrated. See "Build and Test Prep" page for a description of the calibration procedure
Updated Risk Assessment
Risk Assessment - Version 4
Functional Demo MaterialsDesign Review Presentation for 2/23/2017
Plans for next phase
Updated Project Plan
Overall Team Plans for Next Phase
- Build more Prototypes
- Varying adhesives and other design parameters
- R value Testing of new prototypes
- Continue to research different methods of prototyping
- Sag Test Setup & Sag Testing
- Updated & refined business plan
- ImagineRIT poster and setup