Team Vision for Problem Definition Phase
- Our team planned on completing all of the assigned deliverable's within the problem definition. We also wanted to create a preliminary document containing the risks we foresaw and another detailing the timeline for the project.
- We narrowed down the general scope of the project to include process, as well as mechanical improvements, that will reduce the overall production time. We were able to create a detailed timeline for the next 12 weeks of the project, the remainder of MSD I, and a preliminary timeline for MSD II. Also, we completed our preliminary risk analysis.
ArcWorks provides manufacturing services including hand labeling and packaging operations. The current process for hand labeling has very stressful steps and can only be done by highly skilled workers, resulting in a slow turnover between products. Within the current process, errors in packaging lead to large time delays.
The goal of this project is to analyze the current process steps in order to make the process easier and faster while still producing a hand-labeled look. The expected result will allow for a faster method to find errors as well as reduce operator fatigue and minimize repetitive stress injuries while adhering to all OSHA guidelines. The new process will increase production and will be easier to implement and teach.
Project BackgroundThe main goal of ArcWorks is to provide jobs to people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities. Approximately 75% of ArcWork's employee's have disabilities. ArcWorks is a subcontractor for Fee Brothers, a local alcoholic bitter company. ArcWorks is responsible for the assembly, packaging, and labeling of the Fee Brothers bitters.
ArcWorks currently produces one skid per day which is 252 cases or 3024 bottles. The key goal of this process is to ensure the bottles they produce have a hand labeled look.
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
- Analyze the current process in order to make the process easier and faster
- The main goal of this product is to double production. This means they will be producing two full skids per day instead of one
- Minimize repetitive stress injuries and operator fatigue
- Process that is easy to implement and teach
Customer Requirements (Needs)
The working Customer Requirements document can be found here: Customer Requirements
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
The working Engineering Requirements document can be found here: Engineering Requirements
- Ability to Replicate
- Worker Ability/Willingness
House of Quality
The working House of Quality document can be found here: House of Quality
The working Risk Analysis document can be found here: Risk Analysis
Design Review MaterialsThe following presentation was given on February 8, 2017: Design Review Presentation
Plans for next phase
Draft Overview of Project Plan
Draft of Plan Phase
Draft of Design PhaseThe preliminary design phase plan can be found here: Design Phase Plan
Individual PlansEmily Hebert's Three Week Plan: Emily's Plan
Cassie Kaczmarek's Three Week Plan: Cassie's Plan
Troy Bailey's Three Week Plan: Troy's Plan
Lachlan Newcomb's Three Week Plan: Lachlan's Plan
Kyle Chrysler's Three Week Plan: Kyle's Plan
Justin Cook's Three Week Plan: Justin's Plan
- As an individual on the team, what are you doing to help your team achieve these goals? (Use the individual 3-week plan template for this)