Table of Contents
Team Vision for Detailed Design PhaseOur plans for this phase included:
- Construction of a full-scale model to visualize our concepts
- Get feedback from Chris on our preliminary design
- Finalize detailed design of lifting, seat, and grab bar components
- Purchase materials for lifting, seat, and grab bar components
- Create a plan for the beginning of MSD II
What we actually accomplished:
In this phase, we accomplished most of the above tasks. Finalized the design of all components except for the grab bars. This will be one of our first action items at the beginning of MSD II. We purchased items for lifting and seat components, but not for the grab bars. Once the grab bar design is finalized, these materials will be ordered.
Attached is our Progress Report.
Design FeedbackOur team met with Chris Hilderbrandt to get his feedback on our most recent design ideas. Attached are our meeting notes.
From the meeting, our team realized that there are several areas of concern we need to readdress. Those topics are:
- The height of the transfer bars so that they are above the toilet bowl, not below.
- A transfer bar is only necessary on the wall-side of the bowl. We would like to look into designing the product so a single transfer bar could be installed on either side of the toilet.
- The frame at the front of the bowl and whether it could interfere with someone approaching the bowl by foot.
- Shrink the footprint of the frame if possible.
Updated designBelow are some new design drawings for our concept.
Below are some new calculations in regards to the transfer bars.Transfer Bar Calcs
Bill of Material (BOM)
Updated ChartsDue to the addition of new concept ideas in the last couple phases, out team decided to make some updates to our engineering requirements and risk assessment.
Risk AssessmentBelow is a section of our updated risk assessment. Our team has included a sliding track for out arm rests, which poses new hazards, which are outlined in the chart. Our complete updated risk assessment is attached.
Engineering RequirementsBelow is our updated engineering requirements. Most of our requirements now contain target values and a couple new requirements were added in reagrds to the new armrest design.
Design Review MaterialsAttached is a link to our Phase 4 Review Presentation.
Plans for next phaseAs our team wraps up MSD I, we began thinking about what our plan of action is for the beginning of MSD II. Below is our tentative schedule. Some of the major items include:
- Finalizing the design of the grab bars, armrests, and backrests.
- Ordering all remaining items on our bill of materials.
- Begin component building/testing with the materials already ordered.