|Project Summary||Project Information|
Child mortality has become a large issue in the country of Honduras due to the spread of infections from a lack of space, medical care equipment and supplies. Hospital Escuela and Mario Catarino Rivas Hospital in Honduras are the only two top tier three hospitals in the country and have reported for 60% of the neonatal deaths in the country. Hospital Escuela accounts for the largest number of live births in the country annually as it is the largest hospital which accepts newborns from rural and urban centers. Due to a lack of space to care for the high traffic of newborns in their NCUI, the hospital represented 34 deaths per 1,000 live births. The 2014 Hospital Escuela Universitario Memoria Annual reporting on infant mortality rates indicated that 52.2% of newborn deaths were due to infants dying while waiting for an incubator to become available in the NICU. The remaining 47.8% occurred in the NICU intensive and intermediate care units.5 Incubators are typically housed within a hospital and allows newborns to have a safe, warm, infectious free area to adjust to life outside of their mothers’ womb.
As the NCIU Chief Neonatologist, Dr. Alejandro Young has requested an emergency transportable infant incubator in order to decrease the mortality rate in the country of Honduras. The objective of this infant incubator is to be as cost efficient as possible while still providing basic care equipment for newborns as they travel from outside clinics and hospitals to these larger tier three hospitals in Honduras. The resulting design and prototype need to be transportable by human and vehicle, while allowing the infant to survive any rough terrain during travel. The incubator prototype must also include self-charged emergency medical equipment needed for the infant to survive in order to make it to a vehicle and hospital without harm.
For an updated project description, see Project Readiness Package.
|Nicholas DeChane||Mechanical Engineering||Lead Engineerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ashley Pitters||Biomedical Engineering||Communicationsemail@example.com|
|Jennifer Russo||Electrical Engineering||Purchasingfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Victoria Tripp||Mechanical Engineering||Project Manageremail@example.com|
|Matthew Winesberry||Electrical Engineering||System Engineerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Brenna Woodling||Biomedical Engineering||Documentationemail@example.com|
Final Incubator SystemThe final incubator provides and maintains heat and humidity to the infant while also providing a steady flow of air throughout the incubator. The entire system allows for the battery and other supplies to be held in the backpack, with the infant visible to the carrier. The system also has the capacity to hold two oxygen tanks and a pulse oximeter in order to administer oxygen and maintain infant vitals.
MSD I Table Of Contents
|Planning & Execution||Problem Definition||Systems Design||Preliminary Detailed Design||Detailed Design|
MSD II Table Of Contents
|Build & Test Prep||Subsystem Build & Test||Integrated System Build & Test||Verification & Validation|
Work Breakdown: By Topic
|Project Management||Design Tools||Design Documentation||Implementation||Validation||Presentation & Dissemination|
Pugh Concept Selection
Design Review Documents
Imagine RIT Exhibit
- Our guides Chris and Cory
- Mary Golden & the Hope 4 Honduras team
- Hospital Escuela Doctors, Nurses and staff
- Dr. Stockman
- Little Angels of Honduras team
- The Honduras Emergency Vehicle Team
- The Honduras KMC Wrap Industrial Design students