Integrated System Build & Test
Team Vision for Integrated System Build & Test PhaseFor this phase our team planned to get all of our components manufactured and sourced and to assemble the whole test arm. Once finished, we planned to have time left to perform most, if not all, of our test plans to either show that it works as expected or uncover any issues we need to fix in the next phase.
Accomplishments and Milestones Reached
- All electrical components have been sourced and acquired thanks to the help of Dr. Phillips
- The electrical subsystem is now wired and ready to be tested
- The mechanical base has been welded with struts, creating a more rigid structure
- The "shoulder" has been extended to now match the dimensions of 18044's device
Project PlanThe updated project plan can be found here.
Electrical Subsystem UpdateWhat We Did:
- Acquired all electric components (controllers and power supply) to be compatible with our DC motors
- Assembled all circuit and motor controller components into the plastic casing box. Secured all components with screws to the plastic box.
- Wired and connected all circuit and motor controller components.
- Created a model in Simulink to be used in our system
Why We Did It:
- Our original power supply was not compatible with our motors and controllers, we had to get compatible equipment
- The circuit components had to be secured and shielded from possible harm
- All components needed to be connected to power
- We do not want our electrical system to exceed the limits of our mechanical system, we do not want something to break from too much torque from the motors
Below is an image of our current electrical hardware setup:
Here is a snapshot of the Simulink model to be tested with our motors next phase:
Here is what is under the hood of the Simulink model:
The link to the model is here
Mechanical Subsystem UpdateWhat We Did:
- Reinforced upright post
- Reprinted forearm bracket covers and pulleys
- Remade pulley belts using silicone
- Designed and printed lever arm for servo
- Extended shoulder with leftover metal
Why We Did It:
- To stop the upright post from bending
- Made reprints to finalized correct size for our system
- Remade pulley belts to be correct length, making it more taut and have a higher coefficient of friction
- Made lever arm to allow servo to be mounted farther from the elbow joint
- Extended shoulder to allow 18044's device to fit on our rig
Here is what was updated to our mechanical subsystem:
Test Results Summary
Test Plans Completed
- Safety Switch
- Forearm Size
- Device Size
Test Plans in Progress
- Elbow Flexion
- Wrist Flexion
- Wrist Rotation
- Tissue and Skin Mimic
- Mitigation Device Ability to Fit on Test Rig
Test Plans Ready to Start
- Time to Complete Eating Action
- Accuracy to "Mouth"
- Accuracy of Hand Location
- Interface Easy to Use
The link to the current Test Results Document can be found here
The link to the current BOM can be found here
Risk and Problem Tracking
- Updated Risk Management documentation can be found here.
- Updated Problem Tracking documentation can be found here.
Functional Demo MaterialsHere are the links for:
- Notes from review (to be added after review)
- Action Items (to be added after review)
Plans for next phaseWe plan to have the entire project completed by our next phase review. All of the test plans will be completed with, any remaining troubleshooting and modifications to the test arm will be completed, the technical paper and Imagine RIT poster will be completed, and we will have tested with the mitigation device and gathered some data.