Customer Handoff & Final Project Documentation
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Final Demo and HandoffThe goal for this phase was to complete the device and run test experiments. The mechanical and electrical systems of the device were completed and were able to execute multiple two hour tests in the incubator. The experiment conditions of strain percentage and frequency could be modified using an accompanying Arduino code.
Difficulty with the cell culture system was encountered. The team had difficulty attaching and imaging cells to the PDMS with recommended extracellular matrix conditions. A basic pH imparted by some part of the system was thought to be responsible for poor cell viability.
Test Results SummarySeveral issues arose with cell culture during this last phase of design. These issues have left some test parameters incomplete or unsatisfactory. Once the device is fully functional, these tests can be revisited and finalized (if so desired). Follow this link for all Testing Results.
Future WorkUnresolved issues and potential recommendations for action have been identified by the team. These include:
PDMS surface treatment
- plasma treatment, change hydrophobic properties of PDMS surface
- consider alternative ECM coatings/procedures
Investigate pH issues
- analyze carbon dioxide diffusion within chamber design
Brainstorm better method of
- develop an improved process of moving mold in and out of incubator sterilely
- ability to image mold in holder may also resolve sterility issues