Table of Contents
Team Vision for System-Level Design Phase
Team's plan for this phase:
- Breakdown the process of acquiring data and determine the inputs and outputs of the system.
- Develop a list of possible solutions for acquiring and manipulating the data.
- Perform analysis on the possible solutions to prove functionality.
Team's accomplishments for this phase:
- Created a functional decomposition diagram to show the inputs and outputs of the system.
- Created a morphological table to determine possible solutions for acquiring and storing the data.
- Created a concept selection table to analyze the different possible solutions to determine the best solution.
- Created the system architecture and determined how the nodes and main node will interface.
- Researched and spoke with experts about battery, connectors, materials for enclosure, IP standards, filtering, and sensors.
- Created a preliminary schematic of the system.
- Created a plan for phase 3
The live Benchmarking document can be found here.
For this phase, a lot of research was done on each component of the system. Research was done by talking to experts and reading information of websites and articles. The research was split into categories and can be seen in the table below.
Calculations were performed to determine the total cost, max current draw from each sensor, the total weight, memory usage and the size to ensure all engineering requirements are being met.
Lab testing was performed with strain gauges to get an understanding of the behavior of the strain gauges. Strain versus force was recorded and plotted as seen below.
Future Testing Plans
- Get sample connectors and submerge into water to ensure IP standards will be met
- Get sample enclosure and submerge into water to ensure IP standards will be met
- Perform lab testing with hall effect sensors to capture the noise from the sensor to determine the best hardware filter to eliminate noise
- Perform lab testing with thermocouple sensor to capture the noise from the sensor to determine the best hardware filter to eliminate noise.
The live Morphological Chart can be found here.
After the possible solutions were determined, they were compared against each other using selection criteria determined from the customer requirements. The results of concept selection are shown below. The five iterations of the concept screening can be see in the live document.
Although option D ranked number 1, the solution for the battery is not practical. After more analysis and research, the best solution will be determined.
The live Concept Selection document can be found here.
Risk AssessmentThe risk's of the project were reassessed and several new risks were added.
The live Risk Assessment document can be found here.
Plans for next phase
The live schedule can be found here.
|Odysseus Adamides||Phase 3|
|Amanda Vallat||Phase 3|
|Ross Erwin||Phase 3|
|Joseph Green||Phase 3|